question

Esteban Feldman avatar image
Esteban Feldman asked

Can I retrieve the Leaderboard for a title without any authentication?

Hi,

Working on this game... I want to show the leaderboard to the user but offer to login as an option if he wants to push the scores.

Is it possible to show the leaderboard without authentication?

If that's not possible, lets say I do Login with Custom ID... will pushing statistics without display name add that to the leaderboard? The idea would be, everybody has silent login with customId to be able to see the leaderboards and then if they want they can register and configure a display name, email etc...

Thanks.

Leaderboards and StatisticsAuthentication
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Sarah Zhang avatar image
Sarah Zhang answered

>> Is it possible to show the leaderboard without authentication?

No, there is no such way to retrieve the leaderboard without authentication. The SessionTicketis required for calling Client APIs GetLeaderboard, GetLeaderboardAroundPlayer, etc. Every time the player logs in, the game client would cache the SessionTicketfor them. If players do not log in, they would lack credentials for calling these Client APIs. You can click the link to check the API reference for GetLeaderboard.

>> If that's not possible, let’s say I do Login with Custom ID... will pushing statistics without display name add that to the leaderboard?

Yes, you can implement this login mechanism using PlayFab. Please navigate to this doc -- Login basics and best practices for more info about the best practice of Recoverable login mechanisms. The players who log in with CustomID can participate in the leaderboard and get the leaderboard via Client APIs. Then you can guide them add the username, password, display name to the accounts using client API AddUsernamePassword, UpdateUserTitleDisplayName.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.