question

Markus Henschel avatar image
Markus Henschel asked

Use Amazon FlexMatch in PlayFab

Hello,

we require some features from matchmaking that PlayFab currently doesn't provide in a scalable way. Please see this thread for details. Basically we would need to create a matchmaking rule per selectable character and with the hard limit of 20 matchmaking rules per queue we would run into this limit at some point. We would probably be fine for a year but I'd like to already have some backup plan now.

I found this feature request which would solve this but there is no guarantee this will be implemented.

So I was looking into using a different matchmaking service like Amazon FlexMatch together with PlayFab. My question is how would that be best integrated into PlayFab?

Since it is not recommended to call FlexMatch API directly from clients and I don't want to introduce another service I was thinking about calling FlexMatch APIs from cloudscript. Would that be possbile? I was reading other threads about certain limitations in cloudscript so I would like to check back.

If cloud script would not work, what about Azure functions?

Any other suggestion to tackle this problem would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Markus

CloudScriptMatchmaking
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

First, to answer your question “If I don't supply an attribute for a match total rule: Is it implicitely counted as 0?” in the aforementioned thread:

If a player doesn’t specify a attribute for a match total rule, the following behavior would apply:

“It may use this as a signal to indicate the ticket meets any restriction supplied by the rule. This may be useful if for instance, some players express a preference, and another player is willing to match anyone. The player with no preference can neglect to supply an attribute, and match with any other players.”

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/multiplayer/matchmaking/config-queues#common-rule-elements

It means that a player who doesn’t specify a attribute indicates that he/she may want to match with any other players, acting sort of like a alternate member.

Now, let’s get back to your question: “If cloud script would not work, what about Azure functions?” :

Yes, we highly recommend that you use Azure Functions for this, which is more flexible and performant, and, for more details, you may start from this tutorial: PlayFab CloudScript using Azure Functions

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Markus Henschel avatar image Markus Henschel commented ·

Thanks for answering the question from the other thread. Now it's clear to me.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.