question

ryancoastek avatar image
ryancoastek asked

Viewing/Deleting All Shared Groups

Hello everyone. I have just finished implementing a squad system using shared groups, but I am having a hard time keeping track of names I have used for testing. I set up the system to allow users to create their own squad by name and the corresponding group id is the name they have created.

Is there any way I can retrieve a list of all shared groups through an api call as I know this feature has not been implemented into the game manager as of now. Thanks to anyone that can help.

Shared Group Datagame manager
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Getting the full list of all Shared Group Data objects for a game would be a very expensive operation, since it would be potentially millions of objects. The idea is that titles should be using well-defined patterns for IDs (like PlayFab ID + a game ID which they store in Player Data), though one other notion is that you could use a "master index" system in Player Data to store the list of Shared Group Data objects a player needs to know about.

Alternately, there is an item in our Feature Requests forum for a way to list all the Shared Group Data objects associated with an individual user, here: https://community.playfab.com/content/idea/3726/get-shared-group-data-list-by-userid.html. We prioritize in part based upon how many of our developers needs a specific feature, so knowing that it would be useful to your titles would be good to know!

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

bda2206@gmail.com avatar image
bda2206@gmail.com answered

I think not having this ability to check for shared groups will end up in hidden lost data. Pragmatically I expect to have abandoned games, and I can't check if my cleanup of stale groupdata is working. I get your point about well defined patterns, so lets say I use playerID+PlayerGame#.. if the player is up to game 200 & I have to check and query to see if stale sharedgroups exist its 200 queries, rather than one query and then act on the returned list..

1 comment
10 |1200

brendan avatar image brendan commented ·

That's why I recommend having a "master index" as one key/value pair. Trying to make tons of calls from a single client quickly is pretty much guaranteed to result in that client being temporarily throttled - or even blocked by DDoS protections, if it's too excessive.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.