question

Chris Owen avatar image
Chris Owen asked

Can the Game Manager search Player Data?

We save player data such as an ID allocated by a third party service, and the player's choice of avatar. When I look at the player's record in the Playfab Game Manager, I can see this information in the Player Data (Title) tab. The players section of the Game Manager has a search feature, but the documentation is seriously lacking, with a handful of examples and no explanations. I've found posts requesting help with searching (and also commenting on the documentation), and the most common response being "The Game Manager wasn't designed for this, use a data warehouse instead". Most of the time I just want to make some quick, simple ad hoc searches and I don't want to bother with the overhead of setting up a data warehouse.

To give examples of a couple of queries I would like to run: how many players have selected avatars? (E.g any data is recorded against the avatar key in their Player Data). I would also like to be able to search for a specific player with the ID we've recorded in their Player Data.

Player Datagame manager
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Sarah Zhang avatar image
Sarah Zhang answered

Game Manager does not support searching the players based on Player Data. As this documentation -- Using the Players page says, the Player page supports searching on these PlayerProfile properties using a complex query. The complex query is constructed using the KQL syntax. For example, you can use such a query where AvatarUrl=="[YourSpecificAvatarUrl]" to search the players who use the specific AvatarUrl. For your case, if you store the Ids that allocated by a 3rd party service as the Player Tags via Server API AddPlayerTag, you would be able to search the corresponding players using this query where Tags== "title.[YourTitleId].[AllocatedId]". So currently, a possible workaround for your case is to add the allocated Ids as the player tags for the corresponding players.

If you still want PlayFab to provide such features of searching the players based on the Player Data. You can try to navigate to the feature requests page to add a feature request for it.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.