question

David Lennon avatar image
David Lennon asked

Can I use PlayFab Studio Users as an OAuth provider for my own admin app?

May project i coming to PlayFab late in development, so the game already has its own application server and persistent storage. At this time we are only using PlayFab for email/pw accounts, account linking across platforms (e.g. PS4 & PC), and Friends management.

Because of this, the Admin actions that can be performed in Game Manager are quite limited and the Admin page will need to be talking to our application server to bring up player data, modify it, etc.

Since my admins will need to sometimes use Game Manager, and other times use our custom admin page, I would like for our admin page to use the same Studio User accounts that are used in Game Manager.

Can I use PlayFab as an OAuth provider to allow our admins to login to our custom admin page using the same accounts that they login to PlayFab Game Manager with?

Authenticationgame manager
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Yes, though it's not PlayFab per-se that is the identity provider in this case. If you use Azure Active Directory sign-in with PlayFab (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/authentication/aad-authentication/), you can quite easily then use that with your own admin tools. The added bonus is that since you can manage your team in AAD, that means that when a team member leaves, removing them from AAD takes care of both.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

David Lennon avatar image David Lennon commented ·

Thanks Brendan. Fortunately we are using AAD, so I've already started investigating that.

What I was maybe hoping for is a way to leverage the Admin roles and policies available in Game Manager for own use. The ease of creating roles and assigning permissions in Game Manager would be a real boon if we could extend it to custom policies of our own. Looking at the Admin GetPolicy API, it seems that only "ApiPolicy" is allowed, so this sounds like a feature request.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.