question

brendan avatar image
brendan asked

Playfab tier for account management and recovery

Gage.randall
started a topic on Thu, 11 June 2015 at 10:08 AM

Hello :)

My team is developing a game for Android and iOS using Unreal Engine 4. I recently integrated Photon Realtime and Photon Chat, both using Photon Cloud, into my project. I see that you offer services, like Premium tier, that include Photon, but the game is simple enough that there is no reason to do anything but the minimum with server management. I plan on continuing to use Photon Cloud, and to then also include some simple essential features from Playfab in parallel. Our team likes to keep things as simple as possible, and avoid backend work whenever possible, so this request is nothing to do with money but all to do with not getting/dealing with more than we need.

So what I would like to know is what the lowest Playfab tier is that provides these features that are essential for our game:

• Account authentication (only allow unique names, of course)

• Account recovery (via email)

• Account data management (store/retrieve info such as in-game currency and progress)

I also would like to know that using your C++ SDK, since I am using Unreal Engine 4, should work just fine when deployed to Android and iOS. Photon required libraries for each platform to be loaded depending on the platform, but maybe Playfab, at least with the features I'm needing should be just fine using the Windows C++ libraries that are included in that SDK.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

7 Comments
Brendan Vanous said on Thu, 11 June 2015 at 7:30 PM

Yes, first and foremost, there should be no issues with using any of our SDKs when targeting any compatible platform from an engine like Unreal, Unity, Cocos2d-x, etc.

For the tier part of your question, if you would like to have both PlayFab and Photon Cloud covered under one service agreement, that would be in our Premium tier. If you want to pay for Photon Cloud separately, and only use PlayFab for authentication, account recovery, and user data, that's available in our Free tier (apart from Xbox Live and Platstation Network authentication, which requires the Standard tier).

Please note that tiers of service and pricing plans may change over time. For the most recent pricing information, please refer to the pricing page in the PlayFab main site.

Brendan

Gage.randall said on Fri, 12 June 2015 at 10:06 AM

What is the process for integrating your C++ SDK into Unreal Engine 4? Do you have any instructions or guides? Or even samples?

Gage.randall said on Fri, 12 June 2015 at 10:14 AM

I should elaborate on that second part of my original post.

If I integrate the C++ into UE4, and then deploy the UE4 project to Android or iOS, will it work? It only includes C++ libraries for Windows. This will work on mobile when deployed from UE4?

Brendan Vanous said on Sat, 13 June 2015 at 10:09 PM

Hi Gage,

Our service is designed as a set of Web API calls, so in order to target for iOS and Android from UE4 does require replacing the included Win32/x64 libs (for cURL, zip, etc.). We are working with a partner on an updated Unreal integration, but if you'd like to work with our existing FOnlineSubsystem integration, we can make that available to you. I know we're already on a thread about this, but for the sake of others, if you have a similar need, feel free to reach out to us at devrel@playfab.com

Brendan

Gage.randall said on Sat, 13 June 2015 at 10:24 PM

So your FOnlineSubsytem will work for deploying to iOS and Android? I actually emailed them several days ago and am awaiting a response to get going.

Gage.randall said on Sat, 13 June 2015 at 10:25 PM

If it does not work, what's the process for replacing those libs with the corresponding platform libs?

Brendan Vanous said on Sat, 13 June 2015 at 11:03 PM

Hi again,

The FOnlineSubsystem code was designed to be as generic as possible, but to date, all the users of it have been shipping titles on PC/Steam. I'll follow up in the mail thread, so that we can iterate on the details of this implementation and then post the results when we've confirmed that everything is working for you.

Brendan

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.