question

Linda Shi avatar image
Linda Shi asked

Best approach for GetTitleData, GetUserData & GetUserInventory

Currently the system I'm working on I have setup the game to pull the latest server data every 5 minutes, but sometimes this actually causes issues (example: when an item is granted locally but server information is not yet updated, the server call would pull down old server information).

I was wondering how often can these functions get called? will there be problems if I call it every 3 seconds? if yes, what are the limitation on those calls?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

There are limits on how often a Client API endpoint can be called per player, based on their IP Address (currently). Across all API calls, it's 100 calls per 2 minutes, though some calls have specific limits - GetUserData, for example, has a limit of 5 calls per 5 seconds.

But high call rates are highly inadvisable for many reasons, not the least of which is that in our consumption-based model, that's going to cost you too much.

How often you need to get data from the service depends upon what it is you're trying to do. What is the high-level description of the gameplay feature in question? It's possible that a different data system might be what you need, or you may want to consider using custom game servers to host the session information of the player in-memory, so that you can query at a higher rate.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Linda Shi avatar image Linda Shi commented ·

Thanks, so regarding this feature we are only using this to retrieve maintenance, data updates and etc for clients, we don't necessarily require this, but I just wanted to get an idea of what is the limit for those calls.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.