question

Tolin Simpson avatar image
Tolin Simpson asked

C# CryEngine SDK

CryEngine V now supports C# with mono, would the C# SDK be able to work with CryEngine or is there a plan for a CryEngine SDK since it also supports C++ or does this not matter or are SDKs written relative to what the engine was written in.

We use Unity and I have never used CryEngine but I'm just curious what SDK should be used for CryEngine. There is a Lumberyard SDK that is a fork of CryEngine 3.8 so I don't get why there isn't a CryEngine SDK at all.

How does the SDK Generator work?

sdks
2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Joshua Strunk avatar image Joshua Strunk commented ·

I Can't speak for CryEngine anything, so will just address the question about the SDK Generator. The SDK Generator is a Node.js application that takes a target and generates code for that target using the API Specs, js make file, and ejs templates. To understand how this work you must first realize the playfab SDKs are primarily wrappers around json serializers and async http request handlers. This means once you write out those few components you just have write code that generates the very repetitive functions programmers will interact with.

0 Likes 0 ·
Joshua Strunk avatar image Joshua Strunk Joshua Strunk commented ·

Edit: The source directory of a generator target appears to not be used for generating code.(Its used for testing I belive.) I have removed it from above explanation.

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Yes, Joshua is correct - the SDK Generator uses .Net reflection to create an SDK using a template and a set of definitions concerning our API calls. We don't specifically have an SDK that is designed for CryEngine, so we would want to do some testing to ensure compatibility before saying that any one of them was the best one to use with that engine. Simply put, we haven't created a CryEngine version of our SDK yet because no one was asking for one.

4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Joshua Strunk avatar image Joshua Strunk commented ·

Just for clarification the SDK Generator generates an SDK(C# & Unity C#) that uses .Net reflection, it does not use .Net reflection itself, correct?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Joshua Strunk commented ·

To be specific, we use reflection to create the API_Specs (https://github.com/PlayFab/API_Specs), which are used by the generator to create the SDKs.

1 Like 1 ·
Tolin Simpson avatar image Tolin Simpson commented ·

Considering neither PlayFab or Photon have specific CryEngine SDKs at the moment, it would be a lot of work to try and apply/generate C# SDKs to the engine and have both Photon and PlayFab work like they do in Unity. Our current project is based in Unity but we don't develop mobile or 2D games and with CryEngines new features and accessibility for indies such as C# support, marketplace and affordability there may be higher demand for that SDK in the future.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Tolin Simpson commented ·

To be fair, we've put more work into the Unity SDK than the others, as the majority of our customers are using that engine. We prioritize in part based on how many companies are asking for things, so if we hear from more folks that CryEngine is a priority, I'm sure we'll be adding that, as well.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.