question

Martin K avatar image
Martin K asked

local testing of multiplayer server?

The documentation here:

https://github.com/PlayFab/gsdkSamples/tree/master/WindowsRunnerCSharp

- says that it cannot I cannot run the client locally, so it seems that the only thing I can do with this is to see if the server starts up at all. Is this the full feature set of the playfab local server?

What I was hoping for is to be able to rapidly test the full functionality of my server side logic locally, without having to upload it to Azure and wait 20 minutes for it be deployed.

Is this not possible?

sdksdocumentation
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Sarah Zhang avatar image
Sarah Zhang answered

PlayFab local debugging toolset is designed to verify that your game server is packaged with all the required dependencies and will run without issues on the PlayFab Multiplayer platform. It is not targeted to test the PlayFab Multiplayer Services locally.

This sentence you mentioned is to explain PlayFab services does not be included in the local deployment. It means PlayFab Multiplayer Services cannot allocate a locally debugged server. These services rely on the VMs on the cloud. The client provided on this page involves this function of allocating the server, so you cannot run it locally.

Your custom clients can connect to the game servers being locally debugged via the IP addresses and port numbers. But they are unable to use API RequestMultiplayerServer or MatchMaking service-related APIs to let PlayFab allocate these game servers. So you can locally test most game logic. When you want to test the PlayFab Multiplayer Server-related services, you need to deploy the server on the cloud.

More detailed concepts and information about PlayFab Multiplayer Server, please check our docs Multiplayer Servers.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.