question

Henry avatar image
Henry asked

New pricing model everyone has to pay now?

Do I get that right: As soon as we launch our game we have to get a standard plan now? Even if we make $5 dollar a month we have to pay $99?

Is that new or was it always like that? Maybe I missed that or didn't notice before. We are planning to go live with a free version of our game. Paying $99 dollar would be a huge drawback for us. Especially after implementing and testing everything over the last two month.

Hope that's not the case. Can you please clarify what "..." exactly means?

pricing
capture.jpg (29.3 KiB)
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

The ellipsis means that there isn't a free tier in the new pricing model, for titles with 10k users or more, as the new billing model is consumption-based for all live titles. But if your title is in a legacy tier (that is, it predates the new pricing model, and you haven't upgraded it to the new pricing), you have until the end of September to make the change. That's specifically so that developers have the time to make any needed changes to call patterns and usage, in order to get their usage down to a sustainable model in the new pricing.

We talk about this elsewhere on the site and in some previous posts here in the forums, but the reason we had to make the change was due to the fact that the MAU-based pricing model simply couldn't work economically without either a) putting even more restrictions on how the API calls could be used, making it difficult and annoying to develop against, or b) raising pricing for all paid users to account for titles that were (in some cases severely, due to their usage) underpaying. Since we could not conscience unfairly burdening most users for the actions of a minority, we had to move to a model where titles would be billed based on their actual usage.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Henry avatar image Henry commented ·

Hi Brendan,

thanks for your quick response. Unfortunately, this sentence is very confusing for me:

The ellipsis means that there isn't a free tier in the new pricing model, for titles with 10k users or more, as the new billing model is consumption-based for all live titles.

Maybe let me rephrase my first and most importent question:

As soon as we want to use PlayFab in our production version of our game we have to pay $90?

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.