question

Marty Burgess avatar image
Marty Burgess asked

Windows/C++ SDK - VS2015 support?

does the Windows/C++ SDK support Visual Studio 2015? testing it at the moment and seem to be running into a heap of linker errors in VS2015

sdks
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1807605288 avatar image
1807605288 answered

For anybody interested in checking out the upgraded BETA WindowsSdk v1.x, links are available here:

REPO: https://github.com/PlayFab/WindowsSdkV1

BLOG: https://playfab.com/blog/windowssdk-update/

UPGRADE GUIDE: https://github.com/PlayFab/WindowsSdkV1/blob/master/UpgradeGuide.md

Please note this is still in-progress, and BETA.

The blog post describes the major list of improvements and drawbacks.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1807605288 avatar image 1807605288 ♦ commented ·

UPDATE Nov23: There will be one major difference between the goals laid out in these documents and the updated WindowsSdk.

The WindowsSdk will remain a static library, and will not be a DLL.

tl;dr:

After a week of investigation and tinkering we have found the restrictions on the cross-DLL boundary aren't compatible with the way we return data from the API calls.

Two things we consider when doing an update like this are: ease-of-use, and breaking changes from previous versions. Converting to a DLL has a significant negative impact on both of those and we've come to the conclusion that it's not worth the cost to our customers.

On the positive side, we have already confirmed that the beta WindowsSdk will support both vs2013 and vs2015, as well as all of the other described feature improvements work in both versions.

0 Likes 0 ·
1807605288 avatar image
1807605288 answered

I am getting similar errors with vs2015.

I will file this bug and we'll try to address it.

I have no ETA for you right now.

Unfortunately, the official answer is "use vs2013" for the immediate future. Sorry.

3 comments
10 |1200

UPDATE: I just successfully rebuilt the lib files using the solution provided in our repo, linked and successfully ran the tests:

https://github.com/PlayFab/WindowsSDK/blob/master/PlayFabSDK/build/VC12/PlayFabSDK.sln

Steps:

1. Download the sdk, and open the build solution for the sdk you wish to use (client, server, or combined).

2. Load the solution file for your sdk: {WindowsSdkFolder}/{sdk}/build/VC12/PlayFabSDK.sln

3. Rebuild the PlayFabAPI project in that solution. This will generate new lib files.

4. Add these updated lib files to your project and rebuild that project

0 Likes 0 ·
Marty Burgess avatar image Marty Burgess 1807605288 ♦ commented ·

Hey Paul,

gave that a try, and still getting errors unfortunatly :( build log is here -

http://pastebin.com/zasGTsKt

looks like it might be an issue with openssl?

0 Likes 0 ·
1807605288 avatar image 1807605288 ♦ Marty Burgess commented ·

Well... crap. I guess I have to revert to my first answer then, sorry. Your errors are the exact same as the ones I saw last week. There's some small requirement, which I accidentally failed last Thursday, and accidentally succeeded today, and I don't yet know what it is. I'll see if I can get myself back to the failing state and then discover the fix.

ETA unknown, sorry.

0 Likes 0 ·
bda2206@gmail.com avatar image
bda2206@gmail.com answered

open the playfab project and nuget update the NewtonSoft to the same version you have in your project. compile and smile. :) had me stumped for ages.

1 comment
10 |1200

NewtonSoft was never in our WindowsSDK.
bda2206, you're probably talking about our CSharp sdk, or a very old PlayFab UnitySdk.
At present, the only PlayFab Sdk that uses Newtonsoft is CSharp, and that doesn't apply to this thread.

0 Likes 0 ·
Luke Larson avatar image
Luke Larson answered

I ran into the same problem recently and the solution is to compile all of the dependent libraries with Visual Studio 2015 as well. It seems like some of the internal functions in those libraries have changed in the newer version which is causing the unresolved symbols linker errors.

Unfortunately openssl and libcurl are kind of a pain to build in their own right but I was able to get them to compile correctly but it's kind of a hack job until an updated version comes out in the PlayFab SDK.

I know this is a month later but if you still want them I can send the libriaries to you. The only caveat is that I didn't build zlib because I was just trying to get it to work quickly and thus compression is disabled in the SDK. I figured sooner or later a more official version with debug libraries and the like would be released by PlayFab and I could switch to them at that point.

1 comment
10 |1200

At this time, the answer is still unfortunately:
Yes, this problem remains unfixed in the WindowsSDK. Currently vs2015 is not supported for WindowsSDK. Many apologies.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.