question

brendan avatar image
brendan asked

Purchase information of players

martin999b
started a topic on Thu, 02 April 2015 at 5:40 AM

Hello guys,

I'm new to Playfab and I have a question. Let's say I want to sell my game on my website, and when a customer makes a purchase I want to use his email address that he used to purchase as game account. Can I pass this information to Playfab so I can authenticate my players when they start the game and log in with that information?

Thanks!

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

3 Comments
Brendan Vanous said on Thu, 02 April 2015 at 11:24 AM

No, authentication to PlayFab needs to use one of the available options:

• PlayFab sign-in (username or email address, with password - though setup of this does require the username to be set)

• Device ID (for zero-friction login with Android/iOS devices)

• A variety of third-party (Facebook, Steam, etc.), which make use of server-to-server token-based authentication

An email address on its own would be prone to abuse, since that's a well-known piece of information about your users (so, I could just enter the email address of someone I know is playing your game, if I wanted to mess with his game).

Brendan

martin999b said on Thu, 02 April 2015 at 11:30 AM

Well, obviously I would also ask for the user's password as well.

What I need is: User makes a purchase filling in his e-mail and desired password for his new account -> If the purchase is successful, the given e-mail address and password will be passed to my PlayFab database as a new user, then player will be redirected to the Download page -> Player downloads and starts the game, where he have to log in with his e-mail and password which was created at purchase.

Brendan Vanous said on Thu, 02 April 2015 at 2:55 PM

I thought that might be the case, but I can't afford to take anything for granted when discussing issues with folks, so you'll have to forgive me if I seem pedantic at times. :)

It's certainly possible to do the setup that way, provided you also add a Username to the flow (it doesn't need to be user-visible - it can simply be a GUID that you generate). You would use the RegisterPlayFabUser for this. I would also recommend giving the player the option to link their Facebook or Steam account for authentication once they've installed the game, since that provides a convenient sign-in path that they may be used to already.

Brendan

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.