question

Markus Henschel avatar image
Markus Henschel asked

External Server Hosting with Matchmaking 2.0

We are using Multiplayer 2.0 with the new matchmaking and automatic server allocation from the matchmaking queue. But for debugging I would like to have the complete flow of a match locally for better iteration times.

Ideally I would like to keep as much of the normal matchmaking flow for the clients. But instead of launching a dedicated server in the cloud I want to launch it locally and make it available to playfab matchmaking so that locally started clients can connect.

Is that possible? If so what API should be used for that? I was suspecting that I could use CreateServerBackfillTicket but would it work to have an empty list of members? I also found CreateServerMatchmakingTicket.

Regards,

Markus

Matchmaking
1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Markus Henschel avatar image Markus Henschel commented ·

I tried it out and it seems my suspicion was justified. CreateServerBackfillTicket doesn't allow zero players. But since this is only for debugging purposes I just logged in a fake user on the dedicated server to circumvent this.

0 Likes 0 ·
Sarah Zhang avatar image
Sarah Zhang answered

>> I want to launch it locally and make it available to playfab matchmaking so that locally started clients can connect. Is that possible? If so what API should be used for that?

Playfab doesn’t support calling MatchMaking API methods to locally debug the MatchMaking features. There is also no corresponding mock MatchMaking server that supports being accessed locally. You can try to add a feature request to request a toolset of locally debugging MatchMaking features.

>> I was suspecting that I could use CreateServerBackfillTicket but would it work to have an empty list of members?

As you said, the Members field of this API CreateServerBackfillTicket cannot be empty.

Games hosted on a server sometimes find they need to search for additional players. Most often this occurs when one or more players disconnect while the game is in progress. Server backfill tickets allow a game server to search for additional players which will fit into the game currently being played. The ServerBackfillTicket is created by the server for the members that are still connected to the server, so it should not be empty.

Please check our doc Using server backfill tickets for more information about server backfill tickets.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Markus Henschel avatar image
Markus Henschel answered

I found a way to make the matchmaking flow work with a local dedicated server. To do that I let the server login a dummy user that is then being used in the backfill ticket as a member.

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.