question

Dan Mlodecki avatar image
Dan Mlodecki asked

Azure Function via PlayFab round trip time ~500 ms... How to improve?

Here's the scenario: UI button in Unity triggers a PlayFab call, which in turn triggers an Azure Function.

Testing reveals these calls take approx 350-650 ms to complete. Never faster than 350 though.

I understand there are a lot of pieces to make this function call:

Unity client -> Network -> PlayFab -> Network -> Azure Function -> Network -> PlayFab -> Network -> Unity client

My Azure Functions are hosted in East US. Is part of the slowness inter-region communication?

Would I see a round-trip speed improvement by moving them to the Azure region where PlayFab is hosted? If so, which region?

Do you have any other suggestions to cut the function round-trip time?

Thank you for your time. I appreciate how much work goes into a service like this.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Dan Mlodecki avatar image Dan Mlodecki commented ·

Here's a sample of the round-trip times.

0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

If you are asking for location, PlayFab core service currently operates from the west coast of the US. You can try to switch the location to WestUs, but we cannot guarantee the latency will be reduced dramatically.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Dan Mlodecki avatar image Dan Mlodecki commented ·

So what I'm seeing here is that you folks know the azure functions integration is too slow for modern UX expectations and the fact that playfab core is still at AWS is an elephant in the room that's tough to ignore.

I am not looking for 20 millisecond response times out of a web api. But moving between two cloud providers relegates playfab -> azure functions to the most patient background tasks.

Is there a timeline to migrate playfab inside Azure?

My title would be more performant if I used lambda in whataver AWS zone you're in.

Meh.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Dan Mlodecki commented ·

There is work ongoing to move the remaining AWS-based components into Azure, but no, we do not have a specific date we can provide right now. Your best bet is going to be as Seth stated - to move your logic to US-West, so that it's a few thousand miles closer to the datacenter in which PlayFab operates (both now and after the completion of the work to move it all to Azure).

0 Likes 0 ·
kamyker avatar image
kamyker answered

Switch to us-west or us-west 2

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.