question

eswitzer07 avatar image
eswitzer07 asked

Server 2.0 Windows Server 2019 Desktop Experience

Hi,

Wanted to get some clarification around Desktop Experience in the VM Instances when deploying a server for Multiplayer 2.0.

Is there a way to disable / enable this feature to free up resources for the game servers? I notice when connecting to the server it takes some time to initialize and login, is this when resources get allocated to Desktop Experience?

Just trying to understand best practices for optimial performance.

I remember at one point, when connecting to the VM Desktop Experience wasn't enabled (was just the console).

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

Graphic User Interface do takes up more resources, have you considered using SSH to connect to the server instead?

3 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

eswitzer07 avatar image eswitzer07 commented ·

We don't need to connect to the server very frequently, our server logs the current system memory usage when game instance initializes (prior to us connecting). Its showing ~2gb of system memory usage when that happens. It stays the same after connecting as well, I figured the system is always taking that memory up, regardless of if we are connected or not.

0 Likes 0 ·
Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan eswitzer07 commented ·

Oh, looks like you are using Windows VMs, I will discuss with the team and come back later with more info.

0 Likes 0 ·
Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan eswitzer07 commented ·

We also provide Linux VMs , which should be more performant for your case.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.