question

jules avatar image
jules asked

Incorrect Country based on IP Geolocator (Megathread)

Hi there, just wanted to report that the following IP addresses are being incorrectly flagged as Afganistan (should be Denmark):

147.78.29.*

If it's okay, I'll use this thread to share other IP addresses as they come in. Let me know if there's a better place to do that. Thank you.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

All locations are derived from the IP Address of the client device, using one of the industry-standard databases for IP-to-geo lookup. The issue with that is that IP Address blocks are bought and sold frequently, so there will always be some degree of error in the table of data. It is constantly being updated in order to help with this, but it will not be 100%.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brandon@uprootstudios.com avatar image
brandon@uprootstudios.com answered

@jules You might want to edit your post to remove the last 4 digits of the IPs, as that might be considered personally identifiable information.

10 |1200

Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

We removed the last octet from your posted IP addresses because such information is considered PII, which should be hidden from public forums. Will you share your title id, some player ids that are flagged as the wrong country for us to investigate? Thanks.

10 |1200

jules avatar image
jules answered

Sorry about that, thanks for the heads up and editing out the PII. I wasn't aware. Also, thanks for your replies.

Our title ID is 9092 and player 6351E858FC455700 is being flagged as Afganistan when he is from Denmark. We have at least a few hundred users who are being incorrectly flagged as being in Afganistan.

To clarify, is it a waste of time or helpful for me to share IPs that have wrong IP-to-geo data?

10 |1200

jules avatar image
jules answered

147.78.30.* IP is being incorrectly flagged as Afghanistan (should be Denmark)

Just reporting it as requested here: https://community.playfab.com/answers/14421/view.html

Please let me know if there's a better way to report these IP addresses, as I'd like to do what is most convenient/efficient for you guys

1 comment
10 |1200

brandon@uprootstudios.com avatar image brandon@uprootstudios.com commented ·

We noticed recently that we had a client in Denver, CO, USA be reported as Afghanistan as well

0 Likes 0 ·
jules avatar image
jules answered

The following IPs are incorrect (reported by players with the wrong displayed countries):

188.151.251 - Norway - should be Sweden

188.148.123 - Norway - should be Sweden

139.180.111 - US - should be New Zealand

45.131.39 - Afghanistan - should be Germany

84.65.129 - India - should be Bulgaria

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.