question

Deekshith avatar image
Deekshith asked

Multiplayer game feature possibilities/solutions

I have following queries for the multiplayer feature implementations for my game:

1: I have requirement of socket implementation for the game where I can send in-game events(not push notifications) to specific players.
Eg: Notifying user when someone sends a friend request to him/her,
Sending an instant in-game notification to all of the player's friends when he completes an achievement in the game.
Since there is no socket implementation in Playfab, How can this functionality be achieved?

2: There will be certain scenarios in the game where I will have to send news to certain players based on some data in their player data(title) or statistics. Title news feature of playfab can be used to send news to all players in the game.
Since the news is to be posted to specific set of players and not all players, how is this achievable currently in playfab?

3: I have a scenario in game where the players can mine jewels and upgrade them as well and
I will be storing the jewel mining data for players in their respective statistics.
Here I want to show a global and friends leaderboard for jewels(gold, diamond, ruby, etc) and here the count of each jewel will be the sum of that specific jewel mined by all the players and player's friends respectively.
So basically this leaderboard will show the jewel(gold,ruby,diamond,etc) mining data count globally and in his friends group.
How can I get such a leaderboard using playfab ?

And lastly, the game I am trying to develop is going to be a Multiplayer game with lots of multiplayer functionalities( weekly missions, leaderboard based on specific missions,multiple achievements) and would need to play around with the data and query data based on certain conditions too.
Just wanted your opinion whether I can proceed with Playfab for such a complex multiplayer game and is there any important points/limitations that you would like me to keep in consideration before going ahead?

Player DataLeaderboards and StatisticsentitiesFriends
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Sarah Zhang avatar image
Sarah Zhang answered

>> 1. Since there is no socket implementation in Playfab, How can this functionality be achieved?

There are no such features in PlayFab can achieve this demand. If you only want to implement the message sending feature, using external service can avoid implementing sockets yourself. Azure Service Bus is an example of external message services. You can retrieve them in search engines for more information.

>> 2. Since the news is to be posted to specific set of players and not all players, how is this achievable currently in playfab?

Please refer to the first question’s answer, it can’t be achieved by PlayFab now. Using an external service is a possible solution.

>> 3. How can I get such a leaderboard using playfab ?

Client/Server API GetLeaderboard can be used to retrieve a list of ranked users for the given statistic, starting from the indicated point in the leaderboard, API GetFriendLeaderboard can be used to retrieve a list of ranked friends of the current player for the given statistic, starting from the indicated point in the leaderboard.

>> Just wanted your opinion whether I can proceed with Playfab for such a complex multiplayer game and is there any important points/limitations that you would like me to keep in consideration before going ahead?

These multiplayer functionalities (weekly missions, leaderboard based on specific missions, multiple achievements) can be achieved by PlayFab. You can search the corresponding key word in PlayFab documentation search column and check the PlayFab official recipesfor possible official tutorials and samples. But PlayFab does not support querying data based on certain custom conditions. PlayFab does not open database access to the public. Game developers only can get the data under the limitation of PlayFab API references. Besides, different customer tiers PlayFab have different usage limits, you can check the limit page(https://developer.playfab.com/en-US/[YourTitleId]/limits) for detailed limits info of your title.

In addition, if you have any technical question, welcome to ask them in the forums. We recommend to ask a single question in a single post for more focused service.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.