question

duartedd avatar image
duartedd asked

title data without login

so i want to be able to store version information on the playfab server of the build to check to see if its the up to date version of the build

so if i update i would change the version on the launcher and the player would be directed to the site to download the new launcher or something...

i have a titledata that says currentversion and i would gettitledata before the user logs in ....I know you have to be logged in to use this api call so the question is - is there anything else that you can think of that i may be able to use that would work instead within playfab so that the user doesnt have to login just to check for the up to date patcher / build files...whatever it may be...I am using unity and my backup plan is to use addressables (which I have working but doesnt solve the launcher issue off the bat) but i i might be able to store a text file on the addressables system that when i go to pull that file read it then compare...obviously bit more work.

thanks!

Daniel

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

If version number is the data stored on PlayFab, you need to login to actively retrieve it. You can call a self-defined Cloud Script function immediately after the successful login, for example, versionCheck(). It will pass the local client version number to the function and compare it with the title data. Only when it returns true, will the player can enter the main Scene of the game.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brandon@uprootstudios.com avatar image
brandon@uprootstudios.com answered

Maybe instead use a patching system. I've had no issues using PatchKit in previous games I've worked on.

10 |1200

duartedd avatar image
duartedd answered

thanks all - ya i am trying to do this in a way that'll work with Android IOS and steam - I had a thought for the launcher i could create a fake account and login with that maybe in which then it gets the titledata or really in that sense i wouldnt need titledata if i just use cloudscript i can just set the titleversion as a var in there and just change the script when i update the build and want the client to download the build again....patchkit is cool and I actually signed up a while back but then went the addressables / bundles route due to ios and android functionality.

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.