question

Ozan Yilmaz avatar image
Ozan Yilmaz asked

Sometimes Playfab Doesn't Response?

Hello everyone,

I came across a problem. When a player invokes an API call, the response of Playfab changes randomly. Sometimes Playfab responses immediately. Sometimes the response time takes up to 10-15 seconds and sometimes Playfab doesn't even response. It may depend on the Internet connection; however, I am able to connect to the Internet without any issues when it happens.

I was wondering if there is any way to detect if the package will arrive to the client or the package is lost, so that I can invoke a new API call when it fails?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

First, it's not actually possible for a call to take 10 seconds, apart from a Cloud Script that actually takes that long to run, as we have timeouts that would prevent that. But reviewing the service metrics (and again, not counting Cloud Script, since you can have those run for up to 10 seconds), I'm not seeing any significant delays in responses that do not rely upon external dependencies (there are times when third parties have to call for completion are required, like Steam login or Apple receipt validation), but again, our timeouts would not allow those to go that long.

As stated in this thread (https://community.playfab.com/questions/14197/latency-is-highsend-the-api-and-the-latency-is-hig.html), you can check the latency on calls to the service in the API usage details reports in the Game Manager.

One thing to bear in mind is that there's a fairly wide variance in Internet connection quality across the globe. So calls that may return quickly for you in one location may not return as quickly (or at all, at times) for users with poorer connections elsewhere. But if you believe you're seeing a significant delay, please let us know the Title ID, API call(s) in question, and the approximate time of the call, so that we can have a look.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Ozan Yilmaz avatar image Ozan Yilmaz commented ·

Thank you for the answer.

Yes, the cloud script doesn't take 10-15 seconds to execute, however, the result sometimes arrives late or doesn't even arrive to the client.

I was wondering if there is any global timeout value to detect if the package isn't arrive to the destination or the package is lost, so that I can call the same API to try again. In terms of user experience, infinite loading loop doesn't look good.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.