question

Tommy Li avatar image
Tommy Li asked

"Invalid parameter: Reason: cannot be empty" Error when uploading pem file for iOS Push Notification

I followed the exact instruction to generate the pem file from the p12 file, and this is the error message I got, which I don't know what to do.

Can anyone help?

Push Notifications
4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan commented ·

Do you mean this tutorial: Push notifications for iOS, and, did you try these troubleshooting steps: Troubleshooting iOS. Probably there are something wrong with your pem file, could you please retry those steps and see what happens?

0 Likes 0 ·
Tommy Li avatar image Tommy Li Citrus Yan commented ·

I have read both articles. I have followed all the instructions carefully, but there is no indication that I have done anything wrong up until the uploading. The troubleshooting article points to a AWS documentation page that does not contain any information about verifying whether the PEM file is valid.

0 Likes 0 ·
Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan Tommy Li commented ·

Are you able to show the structure of you PEM file? Feel free to obfuscate the data.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

1 Answer

·
Tommy Li avatar image
Tommy Li answered

I was able to use Admin API to set up Push Notification, although the documentation was very vague without any detailed instructions. I had to look through several other threads in this forum and AWS forum to piece together a solution.

But I don't consider this issue to be resolved, as strictly following the instruction, with a new certificate, on a different computer, in a different browser gives the same error message.

4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan commented ·

Are you indicating that the "upload PEM file" page on Game Manager maybe problematic? If that's the case, can you help us troubleshoot this issue by sharing your thoughts on possible causes?

0 Likes 0 ·
Tommy Li avatar image Tommy Li Citrus Yan commented ·
Bag Attributes
    friendlyName: Apple Push Services: [REDACTED, App Bundle ID]
    localKeyID: [REDACTED] 
subject=/UID=[REDACTED, App Bundle ID]/CN=Apple Push Services: [REDACTED, App Bundle ID]/OU=[REDACTED, Apple Developer Team ID]/O=[REDACTED, Company Name]/C=[REDACTED, Region Code]
issuer=/C=US/O=Apple Inc./OU=Apple Worldwide Developer Relations/CN=Apple Worldwide Developer Relations Certification Authority
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
[REDACTED]
-----END CERTIFICATE-----
Bag Attributes
    friendlyName: [REDACTED]
    localKeyID: [REDACTED] 
Key Attributes: <No Attributes>
-----BEGIN PRIVATE KEY-----
[REDACTED]
-----END PRIVATE KEY-----

This is the certificate structure generated after following the instructions

0 Likes 0 ·
Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan Tommy Li commented ·

So, the data you put into the Admin/SetupPushNotification API is the certificate and private key section, omitting other data in the PEM file such as Bag Attributes, Key Attributes, is that right?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.