question

alexm-1 avatar image
alexm-1 asked

How to create matchmaking queue programmatically?

We're seeking a method to integrate the queue creation into automated deploy or build scripts.

Looking at the matchmaking documentation (

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/playfab/multiplayer/matchmaking?view=playfab-rest), it's not clear how to create a matchmaking queue via the web API, or if this is even possible. Would someone be able to point to the appropriate documentation, or at least the name of the web API method? If none exists, what alternative way(s) exist to create and configure a matchmaking queue without resorting to manually going through the online Game Manager?

Matchmaking
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sarah Zhang avatar image
Sarah Zhang answered

Currently, there is no such API that can be used to create the configuration of matchmaking queue programmatically. There is not an alternative way to do it too. Could you please provide some more detailed demands? Why do you want to create and configure a matchmaking queue without through Game Manager? Generally, the configurations of matchmaking queues are reusable and do not need frequent updates. If it’s necessary for you to set the matchmaking queues’ configurations programmatically, you can try to add a feature request to request a new API that used to set the queues’ configurations.

6 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

alexm-1 avatar image alexm-1 commented ·

Unfortunate to hear these don't exist. To answer yr question, I'd expect these APIs for the same reason I would expect to use other APIs for creating and managing builds, etc.: creating scripts which can be integrated into our build and deploy processes, both to streamline said processes and reduce or eliminate the potential for human error -- automation, in short. The frequency of updating is entirely irrelevant -- every time a human becomes involved and needs to recreate a given queue configuration for any reason, that is a time sink, additional required training, and a potential for errors, whether it's done once or ten thousand times; from that perspective, he inability to automate devops due to the lack of said API(s) is in itself a critical failing, regardless of frequency. While not strictly a "demand", I would typically expect that anything I can do via manual, online GUI use, I ought to be able to do via web API -- being forced to resort to manual management of infrastructure should always be a weapon of last resort, and while GUIs are great toys, they're little more than that when it comes to actually needing to get things done reliably in a production system.

0 Likes 0 ·
Sarah Zhang avatar image Sarah Zhang alexm-1 commented ·

Thanks for your explains, currently there is no workaround for configuring queues programmatically on PlayFab. You can try to add a feature request for it.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mira Ploy avatar image Mira Ploy commented ·

Hi Sarah, I need an API to create queues because users have their own custom game modes and mods which require new queues to handle matchmaking for them.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Mira Ploy commented ·

Sorry, but Queues are not meant to be created by user operations and titles are limited to 30, currently. The API calls we will be providing will be in the Admin API set, to be used for game configuration as part of a build process. What I would recommend is using the Rules (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/multiplayer/matchmaking/) to design a system where the players' custom games modes will have parameters that are dynamically filled in.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mira Ploy avatar image Mira Ploy brendan commented ·

Thanks by using Rules this way this doesn't work with the queue time statistics right? Different gamemodes will have vastly different popularies.

Is it possible for PlayFab to add queue API for this usecase? Alternatively maybe get queue time statistics to work with Rules?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Johannes Ebner avatar image
Johannes Ebner answered
10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.