question

alexm-1 avatar image
alexm-1 asked

Matchmake returns without IP

I'm encountering the same behavior as

https://community.playfab.com/questions/834/209855827-Client-Matchmake-returns-OK-without-IP.html; however, I'm certain (or believe I'm certain) that the game in question has free slots, and I get the same response regardless of how many times I poll and the polling interval used. I initially had the game mode configured for Min and Max player counts both set to 2, with exactly 1 player joined. Subsequently, I tried lowering the min player count for the game mode to 1 (max still set to 2), but this doesn't seem to have any effect: as soon as the first player joins, no subsequent player is able, the matchmaker just returns a "Waiting" status with no server information. It's also not clear how to check the matchmaker status (ie. to verify how many slots are available) via the dashboard, so I don't know of any way to investigate if I have a bad configuration other than to simply see that the Game Mode has the player counts configured as described above. Any help would be appreciated.

Matchmaking
1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

alexm-1 avatar image alexm-1 commented ·

Increasing max to 3 allows at most 2 players to join. However, this also results in the same message being returned (ie. "Waiting" with no valid/joinable information) for any third player. The minimum count does not seem to affect the outcome either way. Can someone clarify? Is it a bug that the only max-1 players can ever join, an unintuitive feature, or some other misunderstanding?

0 Likes 0 ·
Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

Can you share your title id, name of the Game mode you are having the issue with, and the reproduce steps so that we can try to reproduce and investigate it, thanks.

By the way, how long was your polling intervals?

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan commented ·

Hi @alexm-1,

I tried to reproduce your issue in my test title (Min set to 1, Max set to 2), however, mine worked as expected: first two players were able to join the game via Matchmake, when the third player tried to join, it will return:

"data": {
 "PollWaitTimeMS": 1000,
 "Status": "Waiting"
 }

Could you please specify an achieved game instance (Lobby Id) that was having the issue as you said in this page: https://developer.playfab.com/en-US/54A34/servers/archived-games so that we can look into the Lobby events to investigate further?

0 Likes 0 ·
Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan Citrus Yan commented ·

Hi @alexm-1,

Are you still seeing this issue? If so, do you need help with that?

0 Likes 0 ·
alexm-1 avatar image
alexm-1 answered

@Citrus Yan We first noticed this on title 54A34, and have also experienced it with title 2890E. The game mode in each case was FFA, though as we're actively developing, we frequently change change game modes -- especially as we've noticed that we frequently see apparently duplicate/spurious game modes when uploading new builds, particularly if new builds share the same ID as some previous build (unsure if this is a related issue, or just some other bug). We have had several cases in which we must delete these duplicates, because otherwise they cause other issues. The reported polling time is always one second. The reproducer is fairly straightforward:
1) Configure the game mode to have Min Players <=1 and Max Players = 2
2) Start a game via Matchmake client API with StartNewGameIfNoneFound set to True
3) Attempt to join another client to the game via Matchmake (with the start new game flag unset)
At step (3), we find that we either get an explicit NoSlotsAvailable, or we get the Waiting status with no server connection information. In either case, regardless of how long we wait to retry the matchmake request in (3), we always get the same response.

1 comment
10 |1200

alexm-1 avatar image alexm-1 commented ·

Sorry, I intended the above as a response, not an answer...

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.