question

Christian Markowicz avatar image
Christian Markowicz asked

Using Matchmaking for lobby

Hey. So the idea for the game is to have the players to first enter lobbies, and then group up with friends to enter game servers. The problem I see right now is that the matchmaking queues require at least 2 players for a player to be able to enter a server. So if there are X full lobby servers + 1 player he/she wouldn't get into a lobby until another player logs in. Is there an easy workaround for this, or can you remove the limitation?

Matchmaking
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Jordan avatar image
Jordan answered

Hi Christian-

CloudScript is a possible solution for you, as you could write a simple function which would check the amount of players on your "lobby" servers to find an open one, and then connect a player to that lobby server. This would give you more control over balancing your lobbies.

Additionally, this thread has some more information about implementing a similar solution that might be helpful.

Please let me know if this does not sound like a viable option.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Christian Markowicz avatar image Christian Markowicz commented ·

Thanks for the idea. The API reference is a real mess for me to parse through, with 3 places of "Matchmaking" and no note of which of legacy or 2.0 it belongs to. I can't seem to find API for 2.0 for external provided servers what API to call to register server being available for matchmaker. And what API would I use for your idea from cloud script to find what servers are available?

I also found on the feature request with an idea to add another player to queue https://community.playfab.com/idea/33285/matchmaking-minimum-size-of-1-player.html . But I still need to find API to check in matchmaking how many players are in queue or what servers are available. Thanks for help, easiest would be to remove the limit of 2 players ^^

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.