question

Elias Nemer avatar image
Elias Nemer asked

how to retrieve server instance?

hello,

how do i connect to my game of which i have a instance build which is currently running in a fleet on aws gamelift.

i would like for the playfab api to call instance, of the game..

so to be more specific:

1) how do i connect to gamelift and instantiate an instance of the game through playfab?

2)if the instance is already running, how do i get the available sessions through playfab and connect to it?

Custom Game Servers
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

I believe it is necessary to implement Gamelift SDK in the clients side to request a server instance, and what PlayFab can do is to register the server instances on PlayFab side and track the heartbeats(with legacy multiplayer feature).

You may refer to the answer from Brendan in this thread: Using Amazon GameLift with PlayFab. In addition, we have a detailed tutorial on https://api.playfab.com/docs/tutorials/external-game-servers. Please note that it is using the legacy Multiplayer feature, including the legacy matchmaker.

In terms of the Multiplayer Server 2.0, it is a service based on Microsoft Azure and works perfectly along with the new matchmaking system, which is suitable for session based games like MOBA, PUBG like games. The new multiplayer system is designed to replace the legacy one, and we have devoted more resources on the new one.

Theoretically, you are able to use the new matchmaking system but there is no documentation or tutorials on implementation with external dedicated server. we keep updating the documentation and if you can send a thread on our Feature Requests forum, votes from developers in the community can help with the priority.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.