question

choi dong geun avatar image
choi dong geun asked

How to notice server maintenance?

hi. I use indie tier.

We will soon launch a mobile game.

One thing I'm worried about is that I want to have a server maintenance period, but how do I close the server?

I want to send a server maintenance message to the user who is logged on and not be able to access it.

Is there a way? Thank you.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Sarah Zhang avatar image
Sarah Zhang answered

Do you mean you host a custom server on the PlayFab Multiplayer? Or you mean you want to close the PlayFab http server? If you mean you want to close the PlayFab server, game developers can’t close the PlayFab server. But you can check “Disable all clients API access” option, this feature can prevent users from accessing APIs. You navigate to [Gama Manager]->[Title Setting]->[API Features] or add your TitleID in this URL https://developer.playfab.com/en-US/r/t/[YourTitleId]/settings/api-features to find this option. If you check this option, clients will be unable to log in PlayFab too. You can add the tips in the client code, when clients try to send API requests to PlayFab, and PlayFab returns the error message "Action not authorized by title", let clients prompt players “Server may be in the maintenance period”.

If you mean a custom server that hosts on the PlayFab Multiplayer. Firstly, the custom servers that host on the PlayFab are not suitable to be persistent servers, the recommended active time of a server session is around 1 hour. They are more like disposable game server sessions. Based on this premise, you need to stop allocating servers to the corresponding game matches when the server is in maintenance periods, not just close them. When you maintain your custom server, you need to uncheck “Enable server allocation” in the corresponding matchmaking queue, when match can’t contain a valid IP address, let clients prompt players “Servers are in the maintenance period”.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brandon@uprootstudios.com avatar image brandon@uprootstudios.com commented ·

@choi dong geun To add to Sarah's idea, this is what we do:

- When the player wants to start a multiplayer match, they click the "Play" button which makes a call to cloudscript to get any applicable game modes.

- In cloudscript, before returning any game modes, we first check our Title Data to see if our game is in maintenance mode. If it isn't, we return the game modes. If it is, we return a maintenance message.

- Our client is configured to display a maintenance message if it receives such information from the cloudscript result.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.