question

jan-halamicek avatar image
jan-halamicek asked

Use-case for Entities "vs" Player Data

Hello, we are developing a new game and currently researching how to best store data on Playfab. I just want to clarify that I understand new Entity system correctly and use it well.

So in our game each character has his own equipment. This data is relatively large. Whole equipment data takes around 10kB.

So we cannot use Entity Objects for this as they could not handle that much data.

Therefore we can use Entity Files or Player Data for this.

Which one is better for this use case? From my point of view the Player data would be much more convenient as they could be explored in Game Manager.

From what I researched the Entity Objects are for really small data. Like some basic information about player/character, like level, tags , etc. They are too small to store more interesting game data. So in this case should we use Entity Files or Player Data?

Thanks

Player Dataentities
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

Yes, I agree, it’s more convenient to use Player Data, however, there are many limitations compared to the new Entity System. Therefore, I would still suggest that you use the Entity model since it will give the most flexibility and performance for your game, currently there are two approaches for you:

1. Using Entity Objects (you may need to raise the limit of the object size, default is 500 bytes)
  2. Using Entity Files.
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.