question

Gabriel Dechichi avatar image
Gabriel Dechichi asked

Multiplayer 2.0: How to give more memory to a linux container?

I'm trying to deploy a Linux container to PlayFab which is failing with "TooManyServerRestarts". My current guess is that the game server is either too big, or asking for more memory than is allowed (image size is 4.8gb and the executable requires 16gb of ram). I've found that docker can limit the VM memory to 2gb?

Also, I understand Windows servers have a 2gb size limit. But is this true for linux containers as well? I was able to push the entire image to azure.

Important information:

- I've tested the container locally and it works (when I give the container 20gb of memory).

- I've deployed the "same" server before, without the massive level, which accounted for a "lightweight" 700mb size and a few mb of ram to run, and it worked fine on PlayFab.

- There is no way to make the server considerably smaller as it consists of a very big level with lots of assets.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan commented ·

Hi @Gabriel Dechichi, are you still having this issue?

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

Do you mean that you are using the Window Server OS to run Linux containers, and you suspect that the memory allocated to each container is limited? As far as I am aware, a container has no resource constraints and can use as much of a given resource as the host’s kernel scheduler allows by default: Runtime options with Memory, CPUs, and GPUs. May I know how much RAM does your Virtual Machine have in total?

Moreover, you said that you tested the container locally, which I think should work properly on PlayFab, however, is it possible that you made some changes to the one uploaded to PlayFab and there are other causes of the "TooManyServerRestarts" error?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.