question

Iain Brown avatar image
Iain Brown asked

Backfill a Playfab Party

If I wish to backfill spaces in a peer to peer game that uses Playfab Party, what's the recommended way of doing that?

I tried using PlayFabMultiplayerAPI::CreateServerMatchmakingTicket, but currently this can't be called from a client, I get the error "The entity of the caller must be one of types: title". I also see from the docs that clients can never cancel backfill tickets, which limits their usefulness for this scenario.

I guess I can use a a standard matchmaking ticket, and use a Match Total Rule to stop two backfilling tickets from matching together, but that doesn't give these tickets the higher priority setting, and they'll affect our queue statistics.

Any advice?

Matchmaking
1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Iain Brown avatar image Iain Brown commented ·

The problem with the above solution is that when you call GetMatch you can't tell if the person you matched with is backfilling or not. So you can't tell if you should try to join an existing Party or create a new one.

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
Sarah Zhang avatar image
Sarah Zhang answered

Do you mean you want to make a peer-to-peer connection via matchmaking? Have you checked this doc Workaround for peer-to-peer connection? This tutorial describes a workaround to perform passing clients’ connection information to each other. CreateServerMatchmakingTicket truly shouldn’t be called from a client, it should be called from a server. The workaround in this tutorial is based on standard matchmaking tickets, and you can use a Match Total Rule to match one creator and one participator. This solution can avoid the problem of backfilling.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.