question

Jordan Douglas avatar image
Jordan Douglas asked

Push notification throughput

Today I set up a test on Playfab.

I created 400 users each with the same android device token.

I then created a task that would send a notification to the "All Players" segment.
It took ~45 seconds to send a notification to all players in the segment
It took ~50 seconds to run a cloud script which sends a notification for all users in the segment.

This is very slow.
At this rate I would expect it to take 3 hours to contact 100k users.

Is this a reasonable way to measure how long it would take to send notifications to all my players or is there some secret I am missing such as, paying customers get higher priority ?
What level of performance/throughput can I expect from Playfab?

Push Notifications
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

The current Scheduled Task service was not designed to scale up the number of servers dedicated to the task, to rapidly crunch through large numbers of players. Rather, it was designed to give developers a way to process a set of actions on a set of users without requiring a consumption-based fee. In the free tier, it's rate limited to 10 players per second, in order to keep costs down to a manageable level.

We do plan to provide a consumption-based service in future that will scale up the number of parallel process across multiple cores, in order to rapidly process large user segments, but we don't have a date for that just yet. I'd recommend adding a Feature Request for that, so that others can Like it, to help with prioritization.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Jordan Douglas avatar image Jordan Douglas commented ·

Ok, thats fine. I just need to know what the practical limits are so I can calculate whether or not sending notifications through Playfab can make sense for us.

Is there a limit on the indie tier?
Is there a limit on the pro tier?

How many notifications can I expect to send per second on the indie tier?
How many notifications can I expect to send per second on the pro tier?

In general it would be useful to understand how long it might take to run a process on a segment 1k, 10k and 100k segment of users

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.