question

mihigh avatar image
mihigh asked

Polling Userdata with IfChangedFromDataVersion

Hello,

I currently poll users read only data every 6 seconds, with IfChangedFromDataVersion, as long as the user is in the main menu.

I saw that the matchmaking has a similar limit, hence I put this limit for my poll as well.

If I were to decrease this limit to 3 seconds lets say.

How would that impact:

- the playfab service

- the batwith usage of my users

Thanks!

Player Datalimits
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Sarah Zhang avatar image
Sarah Zhang answered

Do you mean you want to use admin API to get every user’s data per 3 seconds? PlayFab doesn’t support requesting large data too frequently(like such polling operations), we limit all API calls, to prevent issues. If there are thousands of players, it may exceed the API usage limits of a title. If the frequency of API requests exceed the limit, all API calls may be affected. PlayFab will return “This request is not allowed due to API usage limits for the title.” Error. Players will be unable to call the API normally. It won’t be able to ensure getting the result in 3 or 6 seconds. Actual situations depend on the count of players, but generally we don’t suggest polling all users’ data frequently.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

mihigh avatar image mihigh commented ·

Every user polls his read only data using client API every 6 seconds. The version changed flag is used to ensure useless data downloads will not happened.

99% of the time his data has no changes, hence nothing is downloaded.

My question is what is the impact of such a operation. And what would be the impact of changing the polling to 3 seconds

0 Likes 0 ·
Sarah Zhang avatar image Sarah Zhang mihigh commented ·

We limit all API calls. Only calling GerUserData per 3 seconds theoretically won't exceed the limits, but the space of calling other APIs will be small. The impact should depend on the actual situation. You can try to do the stress test by yourself.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.