question

Wayne Kwok avatar image
Wayne Kwok asked

How can I implement a Pokemon-like character list?

This is my situation:

1. In our game the player can obtain characters like in Pokemon and a player can own around 200 characters at the same time.
2. Also like pokemon each character have some unique data to them (Levels, EXP, status etc.)
3. And we want a backend validation before doing anything to ANY character including Giving character and removing them as we want to do some monetization on characters, Which means the client shouldn't be able to modify the data directly.

First I found the old "Character" model have a 10 character/player limit so It won't work for me

Through all the documents It seems like using Entity is the way to go for new projects, but as I goes on it seems that the data can be modified by the client, which won't work for us either.

I found this
https://community.playfab.com/questions/19364/client-read-only-entities.html
where "Policy" for entity is mentioned, but I found no document about it.

Besides of the permission problem, I noticed there is a 500B limit to a entity object, (1KB for paid tier)
Even reducing the player's character limit to 100, less then 5B for each character sounds impossible to me. Are there any better solution for me? Should I use the old Player Data KVP or the Inventory instead?

Sorry for the broken english.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

I believe you need to define items for each of them in the category.

The Character feature of PlayFab doesn’t suit your scenario because characters can have their own distinct statistics, inventory, and virtual currency. It is more like a stunt double of yourself. We normally recommend users to create inventory items for the Pokemon like “characters” you mentioned. As far as I know for those pre-defined attributes like Species, Type, Category, States can be stored in inventory items’ Custom Data, which is for reference and will not change across the game play. When a Pokemon like “character” you mentioned is granted to a player, an item instance will be generated and it is unique because they get unique IVs, Gender, Ability and Personality. You may make use of the Custom Data of item instances via UpdateUserInventoryItemCustomData, which is a server API that cannot be called by clients.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.