question

penn avatar image
penn asked

Can PlayFab be used to prevent dev keys from being handed out to clients?

So I am using PlayFab for a bunch of stuff and then decided that I needed a server-authoritative, low-latency setup and went with Photon Bolt (new CCU tier allows headless servers to be run with stuff like gamelift). Spoke to their head dev (who is so helpful, just like you guys at PlayFab, thank you all for your hard work!!) about a comment made here :

https://forum.photonengine.com/discussion/14310/how-to-host-headless-server-process-exe

Where he talks about adding a node server, I messaged him for clarity and asked what it was for and the response was:

"It’s one option to make things work properly for production Otherwise you’re basically giving dev keys to everyone You talk to node to ask if it can make a call for you etc"My question is weather or not PlayFab can do this. I have heard it possible with chiliconnect but wanted to see if I really needed a node server to hide the dev keys (for Photon I presume). Thanks so much!!!
photon
1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

penn avatar image penn commented ·

i meant gamlift dev keys!

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

May I ask what's the multiplayer server type? If you are looking for Dedicated Multiplayer Server, PlayFab Multiplayer server 2.0 is able to handle your requirement. And of course, even server build contains the dev key (secret key in PlayFab), it will not be exposed outside to any players because any requests from players will eventually be determined by the server build to choose whether to operate.

I am not expert in Gamelift and Photon Bolt, hence it is not very clear to me why is "It’s one option to make things work properly for production Otherwise you’re basically giving dev keys to everyone You talk to node to ask if it can make a call for you etc”. Can you provide us with a scenario that has potential possibility exposing the dev key?

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

penn avatar image penn commented ·

Yep, I think I will do just that. I am going for a Dedicated Multiplayer Server and with the new Bolt plans I believe I could achieve this on your servers. Not sure why I was so sold on GameLift but thanks for taking the time. Honestly, I am not totally sure what node would have been doing in the aforementioned instance but it would make sense in a case where there was no PlayFab. Awesome, I will go over the docs and see if I can spin up some testing environments and download the container image w/ a mock agent. Also, with the Playfab - Photon integration, it should work all the same for Photon Bolt even though the example states Photon Realtime right? The add-on is to get the Cloud Script permissions in order so that Photon can utilize webhooks. Thanks again for the help!

0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ penn commented ·

Currently, PlayFab Add-on only supports Photon Realtime and Chat integration. I am not expert on Bolt but it should be implemented on client side and server build side. But always, please feel free to tell us if you have any issues or question when implementing it.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.