question

marcos avatar image
marcos asked

Live/Development Environments Management

We are planning a migration of our game backend to Playfab. We're doing R&D right now, running basic tests and everything looks great so far. This topic however, there is something a bit obscure.

We also have a development/production scheme, with the usual approach: configuration and hard data that changed during the dev cycle, needs to be copied into the live environment on each update or release.

I have found threads about this topic here, here and here. It seems the official sugestion is to use different titles for environment, which makes perfect sense.

However, as far as moving the setup from one title id to another, it remains mostly vague. How can I guarantee a solid passing of all the changes (title data, scripts and configurations) made during a dev cycle from one environment to another? Is there any tooling for cloning title ids? Can I copy one over the other without affecting players?

What tools are available to streamline this process?

Thanks!

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

The CLI tool mentioned in previous thread is able to handle most of the cases. The tool won’t affect the source title’s data because the procedure to the source title will be retrieval, then replaces the existing data on target title with the new version. it is defined by the RESTful API nature of PlayFab. If error reports, after the issue has been fixed, you may run the CLI command again and there should be no issue.

For most of the data, for example catalog. You may able to download as a JSON script file and manually upload to another title via Game Manager.

The player’s data, besides Player Data Publisher, cannot be migrate or shared and it is by design. So far, accessing PlayFab service outside of Game Manager is to make usage of APIs, and it is what the CLI tool does.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

marcos avatar image marcos commented ·

That is useful, much appreciated.

What about Cloud Scripts, can those be clones along the rest of the setup?

0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ marcos commented ·

Yes, I have reviewed the CLI code and what it performs is calling Admin API GetCloudScriptRevision, then upload it via UpdateCloudScript.

However, I also suggest you to implement GitHub Add-on, the GitHub authentication is across all studio under your PlayFab account, which means if you can select different repositories under the same GitHub account for your titles and if 2 titles select the same repository, when GitHub pushes changes to origin, these 2 titles can receive the same new revision.

1 Like 1 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.