question

brendan avatar image
brendan asked

What kind of "server" do you upload

victomeyezr
started a topic on Thu, 01 January 2015 at 10:05 PM

What exactly is the server upload feature for? What kind of file do you upload? What's its function? Where is the Documentation?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Best Answer
Brendan Vanous said on Fri, 02 January 2015 at 1:14 PM

Right now, the target should be an executable targeting Windows Server 2012 R2. We'll have Linux server targets available in future, as well. Again though, I would recommend starting an email thread with us at devrel@playfab.com, as we do need to go through the essentials (command line structure, billing, etc.) to get you set up to test server builds.

12 Comments
Brendan Vanous said on Fri, 02 January 2015 at 3:28 AM

We're very much aware that our documentation is not as complete as we would like it to be, and are working to provide additional docs and samples as quickly as possible. For anything which isn't clear, we definitely encourage this - asking questions in the forums, so that we can get you the info you need.

To specifically answer your questions, a game server is a distinct executable, running on a dedicated server (either physical or virtual) which provides cloud-hosted, persistent logic and state for your games. In addition to the server hosting, our service provides things like matchmaking, monitoring, log storage, and analytics for game servers.

Since game servers have a distinct cost which is separate from our DAU pricing (hosted JavaScript and Photon Cloud servers are covered under Premium tier pricing, to be clear - have a look at the pricing page for more info), developers should work with us to enable server usage for their titles. We can provide all the info you need on operating system versions, command line parameters, etc.

victomeyezr said on Fri, 02 January 2015 at 12:09 PM

Thats the information I am looking for... I know what a game server is, I am wonder what your system uses? .exe .bin ? Linux, windows? I can't very well look into what I am coding for the matchmaking service without knowing what I am looking at

Brendan Vanous said on Fri, 02 January 2015 at 1:14 PM

Right now, the target should be an executable targeting Windows Server 2012 R2. We'll have Linux server targets available in future, as well. Again though, I would recommend starting an email thread with us at devrel@playfab.com, as we do need to go through the essentials (command line structure, billing, etc.) to get you set up to test server builds.

dragongamestudio said on Mon, 04 May 2015 at 12:29 AM

is there any guide to build the sever executable?

Brendan Vanous said on Mon, 04 May 2015 at 12:32 AM

Any executable compatible with Windows Server 2K12 R2 will work. This post has more information on putting together the Zip file for your build, as well as uploading and configuring it for use in PlayFab.

dragongamestudio said on Mon, 04 May 2015 at 1:43 AM

i mean if i put a timer in my executable to check all the room that player created, is that possible
and also if i want my executable to access the API, is that only need to send POST to playfab or i need to send to localhost/127.0.0.1?

and when i upload my executable server, is it will have some address? so my client can directly acces it,

thank you

Brendan Vanous said on Mon, 04 May 2015 at 11:59 AM

Yes, calls made from a custom game server should be made using the endpoint specified for your title.

When a Client receives the info on a server for the session it is attempting to join, information on the server is provided - there's an example of this in the Matchmake API call. If there's additional info you need, please be sure to provide as much info on your key scenarios as possible, so that we can help to design the right solution for you.

Brendan

dragongamestudio said on Mon, 04 May 2015 at 4:26 PM

i am sorry, i didnt really understand it, do you have some tutorial on how to build the executable for server?

so i can see what is the executable server will serve

Brendan Vanous said on Mon, 04 May 2015 at 5:09 PM

There are many ways to build an executable for your server, depending on what build tools you use and what language you're using to create it. Generally speaking, a game server is a more sophisticated project than most games, as it needs to manage the player connections, as well as the state information and authoritative logic, updating the players as needed. If there's no one in your team who has experience building game servers, I would highly recommend having a look at the Photon Cloud (Photon Realtime/Photon Turnbased), to see if it can meet your needs.

dragongamestudio said on Tue, 05 May 2015 at 12:50 AM

ok, thank you :)

krellumdead said on Mon, 15 June 2015 at 11:56 AM

If we provided you with a CloudFormation template would that work since you are running AWS on the backend?

Brendan Vanous said on Mon, 15 June 2015 at 3:23 PM

No, the CloudFormation specifies things far beyond a custom game server, including the configurations and software used to manage your game server (without which it would not properly function in our service). For a custom game server, the design of the service is that you package your server executable and any additional files in a zip, then upload that into our service.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.