question

Gabriel Dechichi avatar image
Gabriel Dechichi asked

Playfab GSDK for Linux (Unreal Server)

I'm trying to deploy a Unreal Linux Server with multiplayer 2.0 support. I've successfully deployed a Unreal windows server following this guide: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uumfZEa6nQyKBXJbezwUo5duxKjMYJ9p/view

However, the nupkg doesn't contain a linux distribution. Do you guys plan on releasing that soon? If not, is it safe for me to try and build the linux distro from the gsdk source code?

Also, by looking at the Unity GSDK example, it seems to me the gsdk current version is pretty much a http client. If that's the case, could I just try and convert the same code to Unreal (and then it would theoretically support all Unreal supported platforms)?

Thanks,

Gabriel

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sarah Zhang avatar image
Sarah Zhang answered

>> However, the nupkg doesn't contain a linux distribution. Do you guys plan on releasing that soon? If not, is it safe for me to try and build the linux distro from the gsdk source code?

Please navigate to our Github Repo and find the cppLinuxRunnerGame here. It is safe.You can check this doc Linux development with C++ in Visual Studio first to learn more about the environment preparation.

>> Also, by looking at the Unity GSDK example, it seems to me the gsdk current version is pretty much a http client. If that's the case, could I just try and convert the same code to Unreal (and then it would theoretically support all Unreal supported platforms)?

Theoretically, yes. Currently, PlayFab hasn’t provided such an Unreal example, you can try to convert other sample code to Unreal by yourself, Unity GSDK sample is based on Unity Network service. It should be able to be converted to the corresponding network service in Unreal.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Gabriel Dechichi avatar image Gabriel Dechichi commented ·

Shouldn't I just need to compile the `GSDK_CPP_Linux` and plug it into my game? The cppLinuxRunnerGame is a linux example app. In any case, I was able to setup and compile the linux lib, but overall it doesn't seem safe to try and link a `.a` lib to a project that is being compiled in windows (Unreal has a Linux target but I can't control which compiler it uses), so I think this option is overall not desirable for Unreal users.

I'll try and migrate the Unity code to Unreal and hopefully send a merge request to PlayFab so other people can benefit from that.

2 Likes 2 ·
Sarah Zhang avatar image Sarah Zhang Gabriel Dechichi commented ·

You can choose the solution that suits your case best then try to send the request to PalyFab Github repo. Thanks in advance for sharing.

1 Like 1 ·
rahul-1 avatar image
rahul-1 answered

Hi,

I am still struggling with this Linux GSDK.

What I did

1. Downloaded GSDK from github.

2. setup ubuntu on VMware

3. build GSDK linux from windows (cross-platform) targeting linux.

4. got .a file added in UE4 project

5. replaced gsdk.h with the new one.

6.tried to build for linux server.

received these errors

Error undefined symbol: Json::Value::append(Json::Value const&)

undefined symbol: Microsoft::Azure::Gaming::GSDK::registerHealthCallback(std::__1::function<bool ()>)

I made sure libjsonspp and libcurl installed in my ubuntu machine.

(as i have already done this process for windows and my servers are running fine game is live)

but I want to run my servers on linux.

Can anyone help ?

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.