question

drew avatar image
drew asked

Game Center vs DeviceID ?

hi,

I am working on an Android & iOS game.

What's the best workflow for onboarding new users with the least friction, but allowing for IAPs to be purchased as well as having those IAPs linked to a permanent account?

It seems like there are 2 options - Device ID, or Game Center / Google Play Games.

It looks like PlayFab allows me to create a new account using either of these.

What is the best workflow that people are using for a socially driven game?

Would it be to have the user login using GameCenter, and then create an account from there? This way their PlayFab account was linked permanently to the Apple account?

Or should I use DeviceID?

I suppose the disadvantage to DeviceID is that if the user loses their phone, they would lose access to their account. This means IAP would be unrecoverable.

Does this mean that I need to use Game Center?

Thank you for your help and clarity!

Authentication
1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brandon@uprootstudios.com avatar image brandon@uprootstudios.com commented ·

We use Device ID for initial login, then provide an option to link with Facebook as that would allow users to switch platforms and recover accounts. However, you can also do Game Center or Google Play, or just Sign in with Google or similar.

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

Hi @drew,

>> What's the best workflow for onboarding new users with the least friction, but allowing for IAPs to be purchased as well as having those IAPs linked to a permanent account? What is the best workflow that people are using for a socially driven game?

You can use an anonymous login mechanism (using Device ID) to provide a frictionless experience when a new player joins your game for the first time, after this, you should guide the players to recoverable login systems especially when he/she wants to make some purchases because both you and the player don’t want to lose a paid account. You can navigate to this doc for more details: Login basics and best Practices.

>> Would it be to have the user login using GameCenter, and then create an account from there? This way their PlayFab account was linked permanently to the Apple account? Or should I use DeviceID?

In fact, Game Center is considered an insecure login mechanism, and you should use it with extreme care (or not at all). More details can be found in here: Insecure recoverable login mechanisms. Therefore, using DeviceID first and then add some recoverable credentials is a better approach.

>> I suppose the disadvantage to DeviceID is that if the user loses their phone, they would lose access to their account. This means IAP would be unrecoverable. Does this mean that I need to use Game Center?

Like I mentioned above, you should guide the players to recoverable login mechanisms and provide some explanation regarding the benefits when they want to pay for some contents.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

drew avatar image drew commented ·

Thanks guys. This really helps me a lot.

One thing though that's still unclear to me - a recent blog post shows that Game Center logins were updated to be secure.

If this is the case, why are you saying GC is still insecure? Just trying to understand what security was even added and why it is still insecure even after that happening.

0 Likes 0 ·
Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan drew commented ·

Sorry about the confusion, and yes, it's secure now:)

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.