question

Dustin avatar image
Dustin asked

LoginWithGoogleAccount is obsolete, please update it

LoginWithGoogleAccount is obsolete. The official Google Play Games Services plugin (

https://github.com/playgameservices/play-games-plugin-for-unity) wants you using

PlayGamesPlatform.Instance.GetServerAuthCode to get an auth code that can be exchanged for an access token on the server.

Trying to call the obsolete GetAccessToken brings up an additional popup in the app asking which account to use, even though you are already signed in to Google Play Games. It makes it very confusing for the user and will increase drop off rates.

I don't understand why you have not updated your API. You should not be months behind Google and Apple on their APIs, it makes you look bad. As of right now I have no cloud functions on the Android version of my game and won't until this is updated to use the new approach.

Thanks.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

We do have this on our backlog, but we tend to prioritize based upon the aggregate need of our development community. Since we've had very few requests for this, likely because the Google Access Token API process has not been deprecated by Google, it's difficult to prioritize this ahead of things that many developers have told us they need. That said, we do plan to add an API method for the newer Google auth model as soon as we can.

Could you clarify where you believe we're not up to date on the Apple API calls, however? To date, we have not had anyone express concerns on that front.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

johan avatar image
johan answered

I'm in the same situation as Dustin. So it would be awesome if you could update your API to handle this issue. Thanks!

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.