question

Muhammad Roshaan Tariq avatar image
Muhammad Roshaan Tariq asked

Upgrade to Entity System

Hi,

I have recently developed a game for my client before the Entity system was announced. Now there are some features that my client wants to add in the game such as Groups/Clan and I read here that this uses an Entity model system.

My main concern at this point are

• How to upgrade from Legacy system to Entity System? Is there any live example for it?
  • Is it recommended to do up-gradation at this point?
  • Can I use Clan system without Entity System?

Please let me know or link me with documentation on which I can make best decision for my client. You are welcome to give your recommendations, Thanks!

apisentities
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Sarah Zhang avatar image
Sarah Zhang answered

>> How to upgrade from Legacy system to Entity System? Is there any live example for it?

Currently, Entity and Classic API set can be used both. Entity is a new programming modelthat only provides new access patterns for accounts and data systems. It has not been a complete replacement for Classic API set(Client, Server, Admin) yet. Moreover, using Entity API in the same game will not change the use of the existing API, you can use them both at the same time. There is no need to “upgrade” now.

>> Is it recommended to do up-gradation at this point?

At the current stage, most API of Entity API set and Classic API set are for different targets. Please choose them for your needs.

>> Can I use Clan system without Entity System?

Clan is based on Entity programming model, it is needed to use these functions with Entity API set.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Muhammad Roshaan Tariq avatar image Muhammad Roshaan Tariq commented ·
@Sarah Zhang
  • When do you think you guys will fully deprecate the existing API set (Client, Server & Admin)? Because my client wants to have a solution for a longer run
  • Can you please link me to where it is described about the targets? And What would you recommend as per my requirements/situation?
0 Likes 0 ·
Sarah Zhang avatar image Sarah Zhang Muhammad Roshaan Tariq commented ·

>> When do you think you guys will fully deprecate the existing API set (Client, Server & Admin)? Because my client wants to have a solution for a longer run

In the long term, Classic API won’t be deprecated. These two kinds of API set will coexist for a long time. Besides, Entity API set can’t replace Classic API set now. You can take an eye on our blog, even if we have any update on someday we will let you know in advance.

>> Can you please link me to where it is described about the targets? And What would you recommend as per my requirements/situation?

They are for different targets means you just need to follow the quick start of every feature. Generally, if the documentation doesn’t mention Entity, this feature is corresponded to Classic API, if the doc mentions Entity, the corresponding feature is the target of Entity API. Just use Entity or Classic API according to the documentation you can find.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.