question

testo avatar image
testo asked

Creating a simple forum's back-end with PlayFab?

I'm creating a simple forum for an app in Unity. I have been looking at PlayFab as a solution for the server-side part of it. It seems like PlayFab does pretty much all of the things I need, but I haven't seen a feature that would work very well with the integral part of my app that is forum posts. They would be have to be tied to a user and other users should be able to comment on them. That's about as complicated as the functionality goes. Is there something in PlayFab that I could utilize to accomplish this efficiently?

Thank you!

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

Hi @testo,

As I see it, this forum feature requires the ability to:

1)save the forum post data in one place

2)all the users can access and update the post data(add a comment and any other operations)

In PlayFab, the level that all the users can access would be title level (title data or title entity), however, the problem with title-level data is that they are copied and distributed to potentially hundreds of machines in the PlayFab server cluster, which means that it takes time (up to 15 minutes) for those changes to be fully updated. This will create an inconsistency for the users, for instance, user A posted a comment, other users may not be able to see it promptly. Also, there is also a data size limit too. Hence, a proper way to do this would be using an external database server.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.