question

Siddhesh Narvekar avatar image
Siddhesh Narvekar asked

Playfab parallel to existing MySQL backend server,Playfab parallel to current MySQL backend

Hello there,
I am a product manager (not a technical) at a game studio.
Our game is live on play store and AppStore and its multiplayer game with Photon as a game server and Mysql as a backend. Currently, we are looking for liveops solution.
I was wondering if we could able to run Playfab parallel (read-only) to Mysql and use it (Playfab) as a liveops server but post data back to MySQL server.

So in short, Playfab will work to run live operations only but all the data will be stored to the existing Mysql server.

Please let me know your thoughts on this or suggest a better way to do it :)

Thanks

Hello there,
I am a product manager (not a technical) at a game studio.
Our game is live on play store and AppStore and its multiplayer game with Photon as a game server and Mysql as a backend.
I was wondering if we could able to run Playfab parallel (read-only) to Mysql and use it (Playfab) as a liveops server but post data back to MySQL server.

So in short, Playfab will work to run live operations only but all the data will be stored to the existing Mysql server.

Please let me know your thoughts on this or suggest better way to do it :)

Thanks

photondataCustom Game Servers
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

Hi @Siddhesh Narvekar,

So, what you need is the ability to perform Live Ops in PlayFab and then post associated data to the MySQL backend server, is that right? If that’s the case, can you access the MySQL server via a Web API? If you can do that, then it’s possible to perform Live Ops first and then make Webhook calls from Cloud Script to post the data back to the database server.

It would be helpful if you can specify which Live Ops features you want to use, how to use them, and what data you need to send back to the MySQL server, thanks.

4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Siddhesh Narvekar avatar image Siddhesh Narvekar commented ·

Hi Citrus,

Thank you for your reply.
Yes, that is correct.
Secondly. we can connect to our MySQL server via Web API.

Following Live Ops features we are planning to implement -

Playfab Authentication
Social - Friends, Tournament, Leaderboard
Commerce - Items, Stores, Economy
Engagement - Push Notifications

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Siddhesh Narvekar commented ·

My main concern here is that it sounds like you want to use your MySQL data as the source of truth for the state of the game data, while using PlayFab for "LiveOps". The way the LiveOps features in PlayFab work, they're driven by the events generated by things like commerce operations. Our features (commerce, Push, leaderboards, etc.) cannot read directly from your MySQL table, so you would be left trying to sync up data constantly between separate services. That's definitely not recommended.

If you just want to use your data for internal reporting or similar, you could use the Webhooks feature to send event data to your own servers for processing, but if you're looking at using PlayFab features in your game, I would highly recommend making it a clean transition for each feature.

1 Like 1 ·
Siddhesh Narvekar avatar image Siddhesh Narvekar brendan commented ·

@Brendan Thank you for a reply.
Noted on your points.
Can you please let us know best way to transition from Mysql backend to Playfab?
Do we have to sync up existing data from unity client to playfab each time new user logins?

Thanks
Siddhesh

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Siddhesh Narvekar avatar image
Siddhesh Narvekar answered

@Brendan Okay got it. Thank you for your help.

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.