question

FENG LI avatar image
FENG LI asked

The best practice of simple repeater server question

I'v read the document of Playfab Multiplayer again and again.

Before trying to start coding, i just wondering is there any suggestion to me, because my server is so simple it is just:

1. A lobby that players can create/join room to play.

2. Each room is a repeater that just broadcast all incoming messages to others who in this room.

As simple as i can do, the lobby and the repeaters should be just one server program(a simple C# builded exe), and there should be serveral servers runs at different regoins to gain low delay for local players.

For my knowledge, the playfab multiplayer system can works since it can mantain regoin servers, but is it suit for my case, if i just instance one server for all region players - maybe thousands players connected in, good choice?

Custom Game Servers
1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

FENG LI avatar image FENG LI commented ·

I mean one server for all players in a regoin.

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

The new PlayFab multiplayer server service, including the new matchmaking system, is designed for match based games. The size of matchmaking queue is up to 100 and it suits MOBA games or PUBG like games. If I understand it correctly, what you intends to implement is a MMO RPG game. The new multiplayer server 2.0 doesn’t have lobby system feature and it hosts each game in a queue and the queue will be dismissed after the game is done. We are planning to add more functions like Lobby feature for Multiplayer Server 2.0 but it doesn’t support lobby yet.

The legacy multiplayer server (with legacy matchmaking) does support lobby, however, we have put more resources to Multiplayer Server 2.0 as it is the replacement of the legacy one. Those features that are lack of in Legacy one, like scalable server capacity, will be less likely to add.

3-rd party multiplayer service like Photon is another feasible solution.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

FENG LI avatar image FENG LI commented ·

Thanks for the reply, but i may not describe clearly my situation in the first post.

My game is not MMO RPG game, it is more like a match based games, 2~5 players matched to a game for just 1~3 minutes a round, i prefer lobby other than matchmaking, and i prefer to host thouthands games in one server matchine since my server is just a simple repeater(server do not do logic).

I will wrote a lobby by myself with C#, based on playfab's player account, I guess I can do it through GSDK. Not very sure.

0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ FENG LI commented ·

I believe you need another server to host the lobby since the multiplayer server 2.0 is match based server instances, the number of players in waiting status is predefined.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.