question

Choi Yan Lok avatar image
Choi Yan Lok asked

Storing large JSON in catalog item description

So I have found that catalog item custom data has a limit of 1000 bytes, however, Item Description doesn't have a limitation. Is there any downside for me to store large JSONs (around 2000bytes each) on the item description?

I think it is weird that only Custom Data has this limitation when description/tags etc does not. Is there a reason behind it?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Sarah Zhang avatar image
Sarah Zhang answered

Yes, there are some downsides when we store large JSON on the item description. We can edit data in Custom data as Key/Value pairs but only can edit them in the description as a string. Custom data has built-in JSON Editor, there is built-in CustomData dictionary in PlayFab SDK too, but if you want to store JSON in the description, you should manually clear whitespace characters and manually convert JSON on clients. Generally, these downsides have no material effect. There is no special reason behind it.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Choi Yan Lok avatar image Choi Yan Lok commented ·

Thank you for your detailed explanation : )

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.