question

Wallace Maass avatar image
Wallace Maass asked

Persistent Player Over Multiple Games and Multiple Logins.

I have been evaluating PlayFab for a couple of days by going trough Unity-based tutorials. So far so good, love it but I have 2 important questions that relate to how we would like to put PlayFab to use.

Firstly, we will be making a series of individual games that will award XP and ultimately Level Ups for the player. We want our players to persist through ALL of our games and the XP/Levels to apply for the player globally, not just for the specific game. The way I am seeing it in the tutorials is that PlayFab is set up to work with individual games and does not have a concept of a "single-player universe", if that makes sense. Is there an existing mechanism in PlayFab that can support this or would I need to build another backend somewhere to supplement PlayFab?

Secondly, most of our games allow for up to 10 players to compete locally on the same PC for example. Think arcade machine or kiosk. Can we login multiple players for a given game session?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

For your first question, players are able to share the Player Data within the same studio. When a player account is created, the actual process is [a master player account is created] → [a title account under this master player account is created in this title]. A quick test you may try is that you may notice there is a property named CreateAccount in the request of login related API, and normally when it is false, you cannot login without an existing account. However, if you create 2 titles within a studio, and you have created an account in title A, while the login identity is custom ID. You can try to call LoginWithCustomID with CreateAccount as false and TitleId set as Title B. The login result will be successful because there is a master player account is already created and the login identity is shared within the title. However, please note that player data that will be shared is only the Player Data (publisher).

The second question: Currently most of PlayFab SDK doesn’t support built-in multiple login management. You may craft your own codes to build a management system. The only thing you may need to maintain should be the session ticket, which is the basis of client API calls. Another work around solution is to use Cloud Script and call server API to modify player data directly for the rest of the players.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Wallace Maass avatar image Wallace Maass commented ·

SethDu, thanks so much. This info is very helpful. It looks to me now that we will be able to acheive our objectives. Thanks again.

0 Likes 0 ·
Wallace Maass avatar image
Wallace Maass answered

@SethDu Quick follow up question if I may. Given we need our players to be able to earn XP for Leveling Up from playing all of our titles in our studio, the best place to keep XP and Level stats would be in Player Data Publisher, correct?

2 comments
10 |1200

Wallace Maass avatar image Wallace Maass commented ·

Thank you sir, much appreciated!

0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ commented ·

Yes, since there are no other resources can be shared between titles besides Player Data Publisher.

-1 Like -1 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.