question

FENG LI avatar image
FENG LI asked

Does one server executable instance means one session?

Hello, we are planning our multiplayer feature for our game, after looking into the multiplayer preview features, I got confused about the matchmaking and the server seesion ideas.

As my understanding, after a match created, it will request a build to run a server(a progress on OS), right? If there's hundreds of matchs will it run hundreds of progresses?

My server is a simple repeater, so it can handle hundreds of matches in only on progress(even one thread) to avoid high pressure to the hardware, can i implement it with current matchmaking&multiplayer system?

Custom Game ServersMatchmaking
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

Hi,

>> As my understanding, after a match created, it will request a build to run a server(a progress on OS), right? If there's hundreds of matchs will it run hundreds of progresses?

Technically speaking, servers are running in the containers on Virtual Machines, multiply servers can run on a single VM. And yes, it will run hundreds of servers if there are hundreds of matches.

>> My server is a simple repeater, so it can handle hundreds of matches in only on progress(even one thread) to avoid high pressure to the hardware, can i implement it with current matchmakingμltiplayer system?

Using server backfill tickets https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/multiplayer/matchmaking/backfill-tickets may enable you to implement it. It allows a game server to search for additional players which will fit into the game currently being played without using Matchmaking to get matched in the first place. And also note that this feature is currently in Beta, hence you cannot find these associated APIs in public SDKs. If you are Pro or Enterprise tier, you can contact us to apply for it.

3 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

FENG LI avatar image FENG LI commented ·

From the documents, i see backfill-ticket can not match with other backfill-ticket, so i guess it just can bring new player to an on-going game, but what i need is - they can create new game without creating a new server -- just one progress/thread runs hundreds game sessions.

However, maybe i can just avoid using the matchmaking system, just implement my lobby integrated with the multiplayer system, it is doable, am i right?

0 Likes 0 ·
Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan FENG LI commented ·

Yes, you are right. Actually, Matchmaking and Servers are separate systems, you can use Multiplayer Servers solely with your lobby system.

0 Likes 0 ·
FENG LI avatar image FENG LI Citrus Yan commented ·

That's great, thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.