question

kennyroy avatar image
kennyroy asked

Question about time Limits on PlayerData

I'm writing a system that basically sends a pulse with playerData that is essential to my game. Think of it as basically a heatmap that needs to be near realtime, easiest way to explain it.

I'm wondering why the playerData updates per 15 seconds is 10 updates, (once every 1.5 seconds), 150 updates per 5 minutes (once every 2 seconds) and 3600 an hour (once a second). It's not mathematically possible to achieve 3600 an hour if you stay under the other two limits. Can I just put my pulse on 1 second and call it done?

limits
2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

kennyroy avatar image kennyroy commented ·

So, I tried putting the pulse on 1 second and am indeed getting errors after 10 seconds. But if I put it on 1.5 seconds (to stay under 15 second limit), I'll hit the 5 minute limit in 3:45 min... This seems VERY strange the limits aren't just a single rate.

0 Likes 0 ·

Tested 1.5 second pulses and indeed errored after 150 updates (roughly 3:45 min of running). So I have to put pulse just over 2 seconds (even though hourly rate is 3600!)

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

Player Data is not designed for such frequently changing function. I believe the feature can allows players to updates frequently is Leaderboard/statistics but am not sure if it can meet your requirement.

Can you provide more details about the scenario? Is the heatmap generated by many players? In most of the cases, if the near real-time is required, we need a multiplayer server, where the data can be verified and updated frequently.

3 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Statistics won't cover what I need unfortunately. I need custom data and it is not readily parsable.

The reason this won't work as just multiplayer room data is because it has to be persistent across instances, and even as players go offline and rooms are destroyed. So, using multiplayer server communication in realtime is simply not the functionality I'm describing.

If I keep the pulse to 2s, is there any other reason than "It wasn't actually designed for that" I shouldn't be able to continue?

0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ kennyroy commented ·

2s looks fine but still, limits are customizable. I am not sure which subscription tier you are but you may also consult the sales team via sales@playfab.com if necessary.

0 Likes 0 ·
kennyroy avatar image kennyroy Seth Du ♦ commented ·

Fair enough, I'm on indie tier at the moment, so I'll stay here and try to keep it at this level and see if I manage.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.