question

Tamas Szucs avatar image
Tamas Szucs asked

Matchmaking (preview) - existing sessions

Hi there,

we are using Multiplayer Servers 2.0 and Matchmaking (preview) for our title.

The use case would be that we allocate servers for the minimum number of players (e.g. 2), but only allocate new servers if the maximum number of players are filled (e.g. max 16). We would like to be able to join existing game sessions (Active Servers) after a match has been started. Our "edge case" right now is when the minimum match size is set to 2, but 4 people join almost simultaneously, they get matched into 2 separate server instances.

I know there is a BackFillTicket feature for Matchmaking in Beta, but as we tried, there seems to have a limit that only 1 ticket can be open at a time, so it can be used for a "slow backfilling".

Is it possible to query the existing servers, or register these manually for a "session search"? As I can see this funcionality is now deprecated, with the Legacy Multiplayer & Matchmaker APIs. Is there going to be a replacement for these?

Thanks,

Tamas

Matchmaking
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

Hi, you can retrieve server sessions using ListMultiplayerServers API, in the MultiplayerServerSummary property from the response, you can count the current connected players and register manually somehow.

6 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Tamas Szucs avatar image Tamas Szucs commented ·

Hi,

thanks for your answer. I think there is 2 problem with this approach ( at least for us, where we would like to use these in the "Client" builds, not the dedicated servers of our game):
- the BuildId had to be hardcoded (even impossible because we upload after?) / retrieved somehow. Amazon GameLift has a Fleet Alias as a solution for this problem, a similar solution here may be beneficial too.

- The bigger problem is that the API key would be exposed in client builds, that we would like to avoid.

Maybe extending the Matchmaking v2 API with "List current matches for queue" functionality could be useful.

0 Likes 0 ·
Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan Tamas Szucs commented ·

Hi Tamas,

For now we don’t have this "List current matches for queue" functionality for clients in Matchmaking v2 API, you can make a feature request about it here. And, I will discuss with our team about the possibility of “fast backfilling” to see if we can find a way to help you, any updates will let you know:)

1 Like 1 ·
Tamas Szucs avatar image Tamas Szucs Citrus Yan commented ·

Great, thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.