question

Brent Batas (Lisk) avatar image
Brent Batas (Lisk) asked

How would you implement a scalable login queue?

This is somewhat of a C# question, but it's related to PlayFab because it involves trying to work within PlayFab API limits.

Also note that this solution is on legacy matchmaking, not matchmaking v2, because matchmaking v2 does not support match size of 1.

I currently have a single-instance login queue for my game. It works something like follows:

• When a client connects --> add the client's connection id to a queue
  • Every second --> pop a few connection ids off the queue and tell them that they can connect to the main lobby server
  • Every second --> (Optional) tell each client which position # it is in the queue

This works fine, and because it's so lightweight, it will probably scale to at least a few thousand players. However, I'm thinking about preparing (or at least having a solution in mind if I have to scramble to implement it later) for the possibility of having a login queue larger than a few thousand players. This could be very realistic if the main lobby server crashes, or more commonly, we just release a new patch (and everyone is booted from the old patch and reconnects at the same time).

Thus, it might be needed to distribute the login queue across multiple instances. My concern with this is that I feel that in order for the PlayFab matchmaker to load balance, I will need the login server to call AuthenticateSessionTicket, RedeemMatchmakerTicket or PlayerJoined, and NotifyMatchmakerPlayerLeft in order for PlayFab's service to know how many players are currently connected to the login server. It needs to know how many players are currently connected to the login server in order to decide whether to spawn a new login server.

Having to make all these API calls will almost certainly risk having the login queue itself become throttled by PlayFab API limits, so then I would need to implement a queue just to enter the login queue, which sounds very complex and just seems like it's moving the problem rather than solving the original problem.

My current solution is just sticking with a single instance for now and hope for the best, but it'd be nice to have at least a theoretical solution in case we need to scale beyond a single login queue later.

Custom Game Servers
1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan commented ·

I will discuss the possibilities with our team later, any updates will let you know:)

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

Hi Brent,

We are not completely clear on how you propose your login queue interfaces with Matchmaking v1. At a minimum, we don't think it should be necessary to call both AuthenticateSessionTicket and RedeemMatchmakerTicket. Could we get some more details about your flow of login queue?

4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Brent Batas (Lisk) avatar image Brent Batas (Lisk) commented ·

Good point - I think if we call RedeemMatchmakerTicket, I don't need AuthenticateSessionTicket. The flow of the login queue is as I wrote in the original post. Can you ask specifically what needs more clarification?

0 Likes 0 ·
Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan Brent Batas (Lisk) commented ·

We want to know more details about how you propose your login queue interfaces with Matchmaking v1, like which APIs did you use to interact with Matchmaking v1, in what order, etc.

0 Likes 0 ·
Brent Batas (Lisk) avatar image Brent Batas (Lisk) Citrus Yan commented ·

I wasn't planning to use any Matchmaking with the login queue. Once someone reaches the top position of the queue and is ready to be popped off, it simply replies to that client with a simple network message telling them that they may now connect to the main lobby.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.