question

Sebastian Kranzinger avatar image
Sebastian Kranzinger asked

What is the new entity system meant to replace?

Hi,

Is the new entity system meant to:

a.) Replace the player data, player publisher data and title data or

b.) Replacethe whole playfab system (meaning all of the systems such as Catalogs, Items, Economy, Groups, ...)

For me, it looks like entities are only useful for storing data in JSON format, like player data or title data. However in some tutorials the classic system is described as "the old system", which sounds like the entity system is replacing the whole game.

I'm a little confused right now and it would help me a lot if someone can clarify things a little :)

Thanks in advance!

Player Dataentities
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

Hi, this new Entity Programming Model is designed to: Provide consistency across the programming model, Significantly improve performance, Consistency of access control. You can read this post to get more insight into this new Entity System.

For now, we support 6 entity types such as Namespace, Title, master_player_account, etc. We will extend new features to work on Entity Objects and their data (Technically speaking, all the PlayFab concepts that contain data can utilize Entity System), eventually support the ability for you to build your own Custom Entity Types(such as Catalogs, Items, Economy you mentioned).

This “old system” and this “new Entity System” is utterly different from each other. In the “old system”, there was exactly one type of data which is simply string/string key-value pairs with max size. However, the new model is far more efficient and provides for more options, it’s not simply useful for storing data in JSON format (higher limits are available depending on your pricing plan), and with Files, you can store any size of arbitrary binary data.

For instance, the data you can upload as JSON to title_player_account are part of the player profile, so we will be providing options for using it as part of the profile in the future. Therefore, I think this new entity system will replace this current old system eventually because it provides many advantages compared to the old one. For now, you may need to utilize both of the system to optimize your game data storage somewhat.

By the way, here are some thread you may find helpful:

https://community.playfab.com/questions/18417/entity-data-vs-legacy-data.html

https://community.playfab.com/questions/18397/best-practices-to-migrate-from-player-data-to-enti.html

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.