question

ericstock avatar image
ericstock asked

Unable to connect to playfab error: "Unable to complete SSL connection"

Our game is live. Yesterday, a player from Turkey using the Turk Telekom internet provider informed us they cannot play out game because of this error: "Unable to complete SSL connection". I had this player try connecting through a mobile hotspot and it worked. So likely the issue is with the internet provider.

I am looking for some steps I can take with this user to allow their computer to connect to playfab.

Please advise

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

Hi Eric, I found this thread that may help you. If the user is familiar with network capture tools such as Wireshark, then it will be very helpful for them to diagnose this SSL connection issue. In my opinion, if this issue is indeed related to the ISP and you want to allow their computers to connect to PlayFab without using a mobile hotspot, then the best suggestion I can come up with for you is to have them try using VPN just like chinese player did.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

ericstock avatar image
ericstock answered

Thanks for the info. Considering that likely the player is not going to be familiar with Wireshark and may not want to pay to use a VPN. Can you please provide a couple other steps I can take? Do you think it would be valuable for me to walk the player through using wireshark? What would I then do with the wireshark data? Send it to their isp and ask them to unblock playfab?

6 comments
10 |1200

Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan commented ·

Hi Eric, Wireshark is for the player to confirm for sure whether this issue is truly related to the ISP. How many Turkish Players are encountering this issue? If it’s only for this player, you may suggest him to contact his ISP to see what’s the matter. If there are plenty of players in Turkey using the same ISP are encountering this same issue, it’s highly possible that the ISP has something to do with it. For this, I am afraid that there is little PlayFab can offer to help, you may need to integrate some edge service providers that you can contract with to use for delivery of data between clients and the PlayFab service. If you'd like more info on that, please refer to: https://community.playfab.com/articles/30527/playfab-support-overview.html

0 Likes 0 ·
ericstock avatar image ericstock Citrus Yan commented ·

Hi. So I have a wireshark capture from the player. The capture contains 22 seconds of data. Can you provide me some tips on where to look in the capture for the reason I am getting the "Unable to complete SSL connection" error?

0 Likes 0 ·
ericstock avatar image ericstock ericstock commented ·

Ok so comparing the capture I was sent vs a successful capture and using a filter of "ssl". I can see that the bad capture sends "Client Hello" message to 52.25.154.57 using TLSv1 protocol. There never is a "Server Hello" message from 52.25.154.57.

In the successful capture, the Protocol is TLSv1.2 and a "Server Hello" message is received.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
ericstock avatar image ericstock commented ·

Hi. I am still waiting to hear back from the player. They haven't been successful in their attempts to force TLSv1.2. The first attempt they made was to enable TLSv1.2 in their windows registry. After this failed, I advised them to try to disable TLSv1.0 in the windows registry.

0 Likes 0 ·
Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan ericstock commented ·

OK, I will keep this thread updated, any issues let us know:)

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.