question

Matthew Arnold avatar image
Matthew Arnold asked

Is the Matchmaking (Preview) able to be used with legacy custom servers?

I tried putting a legacy server build up and it didn't show up, under the server allocation drop-down, in the Matchmaking queue I had created. Is what I am trying to do even possible, or is there something I am missing. I would assume it would work as I am Essentials tier, so I am only able to create legacy servers. If I cant create 2.0 servers then what would be the purpose of being able to access the Matchmaking page in the Game Manager, if I cant actually use it? Aside from the base matchmaking, and the ability for the matchmaker to start up server instances on its own, I am wanting to use the data sent to the server from the matchmaker(teams, initial players).

Custom Game ServersMatchmaking
1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brandon@uprootstudios.com avatar image brandon@uprootstudios.com commented ·

I have no experience with Legacy servers, but we use Matchmaking with Servers 2.0, so I can give some advice:

If you're not using Servers 2.0, you can still use matchmaking, it just won't automatically allocate a server for the match. You could possibly instead use the new matchmaking preview to match players together, then use the multiplayer API (or legacy multiplayer API) to allocate a server manually, and connect players that way (if possible).

1 Like 1 ·

1 Answer

·
Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

Hi Matthew, as far as I am aware, if you use the new Matchmaking for legacy servers(or any other external servers), for now, we don’t support external server hosting to start. So this new Matchmaking will only help you gather players together. You will need to manually allocate the servers to the matched player, pass connection info to members of that match to connect, all of these will be done by yourself. Eventually, PlayFab will be deprecating the legacy service and won’t be investing in new functionally there. Therefore, it’s recommended to using this new Servers(2.0)

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.